Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BRS Dry rock question...

ReefNoobie21

I recently purchased some BRS dry rock, fiji, to go into a new 10g tank and to add some to my 25g. my question is should i add it right away into my 25g after a good rinse or let it soak in saltwater for a certain period then add it?

Some of their rock has dried crusty stuff on it. If it looks dirty it probably is, and may cycle. The reefsaver rock is the cleanest; my Pukani rock was pretty damned dirty. That being said, it's pretty easy to rinse the stuff off with fresh water (as suggested) or to throw it with some saltwater in a bin for a week or two if you're really worried. Likely unnecessary, but really easy, anyway.

To be on the safe side you should def scrub the #### out of it and then put it in a bucket with fresh water with a powerhead. I have ordered from BRS 3x now and every time there has been quite a bit of junk that sloughed off.

The Pukani I got from them was nasty. I did a 1/20th Muiatic acid bath on it for about 10 minutes. Eats a lots of the crap off. But a nasty process and you have to deal with acid. BRS has a video on their site about curing their dried rock. Pretty much it's just like cycling a tank. But they suggest curing the rock which is about 4ish weeks then putting in your tank and cycling it. So your looking at up to 2 months, by BRS. I cleaned mine with acid. Washed the crap out of it with a brush and put it in the tank. I have a 29 gallon Biocube. Put 20lbs of dried Pukani and bought 10lbs of live rock from LFS to seed.

how long did your process take? i mean i already have about 15-20 lbs in my 25g but i wanted to add more. and i go extra to start a 10g tank which ill cycle after i let the dry rock sit in the sw for awhile

how long did your process take? i mean i already have about 15-20 lbs in my 25g but i wanted to add more. and i go extra to start a 10g tank which ill cycle after i let the dry rock sit in the sw for awhile

Mine tank is still currently cycling. I'm on about week 3. The tank is looking good and cycling as it should. Appears to be on par for about 4 to 5 weeks.

If your adding the dried rock to an established tank then you may want to add it slowly. Start with rinsing it with RO/DI water. All the dried bits are biological matter and will begin decomposition as soon as it placed in the water. This will increase the bio load on your tank and basically a mini cycle. How much depends on how much you add. I would do it slowly over several weeks. Add some and watch your ammonia after a few days to see how much it rises and that your tanks bacteria can handle it then add more as it settles out.

If your starting a tank with it then I would just rinse it with RO/DI water and run with it. If its really nasty maybe do a mild acid bath but that's up to you. Curing will let most of that nasty stuff start to decompose so it won't end up in your main tank. I think this will be a personal preference here. It will work either way.

Archived