Top Shelf Aquatics

Nitrates sky high

element9540

Hey guys so my tank just finished cycling, amm=0, trites=0, and trates=80. I though this was a kinda high even for now. So I did a 50% water change yesterday and rechecked my params today. Ammonia and nitrite was still 0 and nitrates were still 80. This does not make any sense to me. They should have dropped after the water change. I am using the cheapy API tests for now and I'm assuming the nitrate test is just faulty. ANyone have any suggestions or ideas what the deal is? Thanks.

jedimasterben

Don't use API test kits. Order this test kit and you'll know what your nitrate and phosphate levels actually are. The resolution and accuracy of the API kits are incredibly low.

My nitrate measure out to be about 1-4ppm, and with an API kit it says 160ppm every time.

What water do you use? Have you tested it?

I use 0 TDS water confirmed by a TDS meter.

Don't use API test kits. Order this test kit and you'll know what your nitrate and phosphate levels actually are. The resolution and accuracy of the API kits are incredibly low.

My nitrate measure out to be about 1-4ppm, and with an API kit it says 160ppm every time.

Ya I figured that was my problem. These API kits are crappy, at least for pH and nitrates. You told me about those red sea test kits a few days ago and am planning on getting them.......just need the cash first.

jedimasterben
I use 0 TDS water confirmed by a TDS meter.

Ya I figured that was my problem. These API kits are crappy, at least for pH and nitrates. You told me about those red sea test kits a few days ago and am planning on getting them.......just need the cash first.

Good deal. As long as you have no livestock in it yet, I wouldn't worry about the nitrate level. If it was truly 80ppm, then it would only be 40ppm right now because of the 50% water change, but I doubt it's truly that high, so don't sweat it. :)

Good deal. As long as you have no livestock in it yet, I wouldn't worry about the nitrate level. If it was truly 80ppm, then it would only be 40ppm right now because of the 50% water change, but I doubt it's truly that high, so don't sweat it. :)

Yep sounds good. Actually just looked at my glass and saw the first pods I've seen since I started the tank which is exciting. I want to go down today to my LFS and get a couple hermits and maybe an emerald to throw in the tank today. Bad idea or ok?

jedimasterben
Yep sounds good. Actually just looked at my glass and saw the first pods I've seen since I started the tank which is exciting. I want to go down today to my LFS and get a couple hermits and maybe an emerald to throw in the tank today. Bad idea or ok?

I would stay away from crabs. Stick to snails and starfish for cleanup crew.

Mix up a new batch of water and test it before you put it in the tank. If it reads high in nitrates it's either the test or a really screwed up batch of salt mix. I'm voting for the API test kit myself.

i personally would stay away from any redsea products as their test kits are highly inaccurate.

salifert or elos is probably your best bet

Since when?

I prefer any test that uses titration. I am using salifert for now though.

As for api. Make sure ur using a syringe to measure out the 5 mL I stead of using the vial. That make on the vial is way way off

I would stay away from crabs. Stick to snails and starfish for cleanup crew.

I wish I got this advice in the beginning! Now I have a fire red shrimp that wont leave my corals alone!! And my LFS wont take him back

I wish I got this advice in the beginning! Now I have a fire red shrimp that wont leave my corals alone!! And my LFS wont take him back

Cleaner shrimp aren't good at cleanup, either, especially once they realize that you feed everything. Try feeding the shrimp elsewhere in your tank and then feed the corals.

Since when?

since when i started this hobby 6-7 years ago.

their magnesium test was just pure trash, went with elos instead.

bought their reef color test kit which tests for potassium, iron and iodine and their potassium test kit was way off from saliferts. i only use their kits for the glass test vials and that nifty syringe holder shaker thing

Archived