inTank Media Baskets

When cycling new tank should I have Chmi-Pure & Purigen installed?

Beachmama23

Hi, my question is pretty beginner but when I cycle my biocube 29 that just came today do I want to have my Chemi-Pure & Purigen installed or is it just a waste since there's only going to be rock in there fir a while. Just didn't want to waste anything. Thanks in advance :)

Hi, my question is pretty beginner but when I cycle my biocube 29 that just came today do I want to have my Chemi-Pure & Purigen installed or is it just a waste since there's only going to be rock in there fir a while. Just didn't want to waste anything. Thanks in advance :)

It's a waste. You will cripple your biological filter. Let it cycle with all kinds of nutrients in the water.

Nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) do nothing for the nitrogen cycle, they just benefit algae. Maybe you could argue that the organic componds which are adsorbed by the media would otherwise contribute more to the nitrogen cycle, but IDK.

I understand the sentiment that it's unnessary, and there is nothing wrong with waiting to use this media until you add livestock. Then again, it won't hurt anything but your pocketbook to run it fully setup; plus, your water will be better once the cycle has become established.

However, I think that fewer people run media during this time, than those that don't.

Those products remove Ammonia from the aquarium. They aren't going to hurt anything but they could and probably would make your cycle take longer. Since there's no need for them I would just wait.

As always, thank you for the responses :)

Sorry this doesn't have to do woth tanks or fish but how do I add under my avatar photo "I support nano reef" and how do I change my name from nano reefer to something else. Thanks again :)

I have cycled all my tanks with a 4x24'' t5 set up running all blue and purple bulbs. Cycling for 30 days with just rock and sand and my rock turns straight purple every time lol here is a pic of a 29g. After the cycle i switch to my normal leds. I know its weird but it works for me and the tank gets established extremely fast imo its because of the low full spectrum ati purple and blue+ bulbs. I have cycled tanks with Chemipure elite and without and without seems to have a better result during the cycle period IME the Chemipure prolongs the cycle even though i usually never have to wait more than my 1 month minimum cycle time.

IMAG0157-1.jpg

DSC_7683.jpg

Skimming during the cycle is actually counter-productive. However, it is also true that most skimmers require a break-in time. If it were me, I'd wait until you add CUC and start it up. Then let it run for a week or two before adding fish. That is, if the skimmer hasn't already been used.

Sorry this doesn't have to do woth tanks or fish but how do I add under my avatar photo "I support nano reef" and how do I change my name from nano reefer to something else. Thanks again :)

Go to the Nano-Reef.com 'Home' page. On the far left side you will see "SUPPORT NR". Click on the 4th bullet down "Premium Membership". This should get you in the direction you are wanting.

and how do I change my name from nano reefer to something else.
For the member title:

up near the top, click My Controls

on the left, click Edit Profile Information

then edit Custom member title

I guess I should've asked this as well, do I want to be running the Tunez Skimmer while my tank is cycling or is this also a no?
Premium Aquatics uses protein skimmers to cure their live rock.

I can see not using expensive media that removes some ammonia from the water, but I can't think of why you wouldn't run a protein skimmer during this time.

Morning, so its based on how many posts you have & how often you post? I was just curious & even though I've only been here a few days I'm loving how helpful & supportive everyone is, great place for learning :)

Archived