inTank Media Baskets

ugly's fugly natural tank

uglybuckling

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:

Might I ask?

Haha, I just about broke myself building that thing. Between its weight and its ridiculous over-built-ness and its just straight up awkwardness of dimensions for carrying it...I never want to even try to move it again.

Tank's coming together nicely...got the parts for the Evil Cluster (see above, that's the arrays in the antistatic bag) and all the mesh bags and acrylic and whatnot for the back part of the 33 long. Oh, and I did the aquascape. I'll take pictures at some point.

:o

how long did shipping take?

Ordered Sunday at 3am (that is, between Saturday and Sunday). I assume they shipped yesterday since Monday was a holiday. So like...a day? They're in South Carolina and I'm in North Carolina. =)

wow, that's pretty quick! ill hopefully order mine on friday and it will probably be until tuesday ill get it. i need to order from steve's too.

jedimasterben

Do the optics fit, as they are, around a standard 20mm star? I can't find a good source for 3up Luxeon optics that are wider than like 40 degrees. :/

Do the optics fit, as they are, around a standard 20mm star? I can't find a good source for 3up Luxeon optics that are wider than like 40 degrees. :/

The aperture is 19.2mm (thank you, calipers; confirmed on the technical drawings which the kind folks from Newark included with the product). So it will fit around the LEDs in the center of a 3up star, but it will not fit around the star itself. Not sure how you'd mount it to a star--how heat-stable is cyanoacrylate?

Edit a month later: HOT GLUE.

The Molex connector for the array has a really nice built-in setup for holding the optics in place, but it'd get kinda expensive to order a big reflector AND a molex connector for each of your 3ups.

jedimasterben
The aperture is 19.2mm (thank you, calipers; confirmed on the technical drawings which the kind folks from Newark included with the product). So it will fit around the LEDs in the center of a 3up star, but it will not fit around the star itself.

Hmm, ok. If I could figure out an easy way to mount them without shorting anything, they should be usable. Maybe. Wouldn't have near the efficiency of standard optics that cover each diode individually and combine them, but would keep light from broadcasting out too wide.

Shout out to John over at Reefcleaners, who still can't count...

Reefcleaners%20order.png

I got my order today from John and have the same counts. I really don't know where they are all going to go now... I guess I'll have to get a light over my fuge and throw half in there. They are going to be hungry.

fcad0cab.gif

So here are more!

Jedi stopped by to visit:

Jedi.jpg

Penny macroalgae (I think it's Gracillaria):

Reefcleaners%20order%20011.jpg

Excitement! (Reefcleaners order):

Reefcleaners%20order%20003.jpg

New very overexposed FTS....that stupid chiton won't move off his lil' shell.

Also note the mangroves sticking out the top through the eggcrate in the back left corner and the center.

Reefcleaners%20order%20020edited.jpg

jedimasterben

Don't leave the mangroves between the holes of the eggcrate, otherwise as they grow it will choke them out.

And yes, the penny macro is red gracilaria. I can send you more gracilaria than you can fathom :lol:

And my lightsaber is blue, not green. :D

All reef DIY is on hold for a few days in order to make pumpkins. This year's efforts so far have yielded:

Jack.jpg

Zero.jpg

Zero is about 3/4 inch long. =)

smokin' jesus titty cinnamon.

and that is sig-worthy, my dear friend.

Those pumpkins are amazing! What tools do you use to carve? So many thin pieces, like jack's arms! My small pieces like that always break and I wind up toothpicking them back on...

I was going to siggy that if you didn't.

The tools for this one were Dremel bits 104 and 114, a bunch of clayworking ribbon tools, and (mostly) an x-acto knife. And like 3 hours.

I'll get back to reef stuff later in the week, I promise. Between fellowship apps and pumpkins and moonlighting work (in order to continue having the means to provide my corals with the posh lives to which they are accustomed), I'm just super busy. =P

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some pics of the new corals tonight.

The girlfriend is a photoshop whiz and everything I do in post-processing just seems ridiculously horrible by comparison so I let her do them. Here are the two she's gotten to so far. There are a bunch of acans, some RPEs, some rics, and a few more zoa varieties that I have pictures of, but I can't seem to make them look right without her help / her photoshop (I don't have the program, so even if I did know what I was doing, which I don't....)

Anyway, to the pictures!

Coral39.jpg

Coral9.jpg

Yes I know they are button polyps. I like them even if you don't. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my macros for this "dirty" tank's 33g long fuge, from keydiver. They look good. I'm somewhat worried about the neon orange red dictyota, based on the color it has turned. Everything else is going to do just fine.

He even sent me an extra piece of halymenia for free.

Here are some iPhone pics that I didn't bother to white balance (hurray photography!):

FTS with 92W of evil cluster over it:

macro%20FTS.png

It is much whiter/yellower and almost brighter than the 168W rig above the display tank; neither of these are a problem for me. Yes, in person it is yellow. Not this purple color. Photographing LEDs is hard.

The left side of the tank (brown scroll, "red ochtodes," blue ochtodes, shaving brush:

macros%20left.jpg

And the red dictyota that I'm worried about. We'll see if he makes it. I don't like the color he has turned.

macros%20neon%20orange.jpg

Very happy with the order though--generous portions, great packing (I think he must have used an entire carton of bags and most of a roll of paper towels), everything is healthy. Got some very nice rics for the display tank too. I'll go write something in his feedback thread. =)

The Tanks looking great Andrew! You should've mentioned the red dictyota. If it melts away I'll refund you the $5. That stuff is pretty bulletproof though so we'll see. Great looking tank.

I buy my bags in 400 packs B)

Archived