Cultivated Reef

My first coral!

Steventomas

Hey all

I finally decided that my tank is ready for a coral. So today i went down to the LFS and picked up a mushroom being as they are hardy and such.

Anyhow after getting home i first temp. acclimated the coral, then i drip acclimated the coral for about 30 minutes and the salinity matched in the tank and the bag. I then let the coral sit in "two little fishes" revive mixed with saltwater for about 6 minutes. Then i rinsed the coral in tank water and it went into the tank in its spot.

The coral seems to look good, it was a little shriveled up but now looks mostly open and is laying flat against its rock. i have it placed pretty high up in the tank since i only have PC lighting but im not sure if it belongs there or should be lowered.

The first pick is taken from a distance and the second is zoomed in.

Thanks!

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

Jackal_Knight

nice coral. i too just got my first coral and it was a mushroom too! mine was a green striped whats yours im still fairly new to this hobby so i don't know all the type of shrooms ?

Does everyone think it looks healthy?

I'm no expert but it looked great in the store and is doing nicely now at home. Any idea on what this mushroom is called?

Also, how large should I expect it to get?

Thanks!

My first coral was a mushroom too. They can get pretty big depending on how much light they get and the nutrient levels in your tank. The more light the smaller they tend to stay IME but they can get up to several inches across. It looks pretty healthy to me. Its pretty hard to kill a mushroom lol

Joe

My first coral was a mushroom too. They can get pretty big depending on how much light they get and the nutrient levels in your tank. The more light the smaller they tend to stay IME but they can get up to several inches across. It looks pretty healthy to me. Its pretty hard to kill a mushroom lol

Joe

Congrats on your first coral!!

Does everyone think it looks healthy?

I'm no expert but it looked great in the store and is doing nicely now at home. Any idea on what this mushroom is called?

Also, how large should I expect it to get?

Thanks!

It looks great. Give it some time to get used to your tank and it will grow.

They tend to get small at night when the lights go off/when the moonlights go on, if you have them.

So don't be alarmed. It will get big again when the lights turn back on. :) W-

Congratulations! It is a lovely looking mushroom (do not know what kind as I am new to this hobby). I have not added coral yet. I am still waiting for my water to stabilize :rolleyes:

Archived