inTank Media Baskets

Appropriate snail colony for a 28g?

Chromis

Continuing to plan my 28gallon reef and wanted to clear my prospective snail "colony" with all of you...

10 Ceriths

10 Astreas

04 Nassarius

04 Trochus

02 Bumble Bees

How does that sound? Definately want diversity as you can see.

Also know that Bumble Bees don't clean much but I just want them for the hell of it if they don't hurt anything.

I haven't added snails yet, but I am planning on adding as few as possible that will get the job done.

I don't want them to starve or anything if the algae supply goes down :P

Maybe 10 snails total is what I am gonna add.

20 hermits though :) I love the buggers

I think thats too much snails. They all may be useful during outbreaks of algae during startup, but once all the algae is gone most will starve and die.

I have limited my Astrea population to just 8 in my 24G tank. They are sufficient in numbers for my tank all the other snails hitched. I sometimes wonder if they have enough food. If they starve, some will die and pollute the water. I havent had one snail dead so far. This was also the action recommended by my LFS.

I would add at least 10-14 hermits, blue legs are most hard working. But add a combination. Hermits are very useful workers on the sand.

I hear alot of bad about lots of hermits so I was trying to keep the numbers reasonable and then make up for it with snails.

I guess 10 hermits would still be in moderation so would...

5 Blue Leg Hermits

5 Scarlet Hermits

5 Astreas

5 Ceriths

1 Bumble Bee

...be a better combo?

That should be alright.

I still have all of my hermits. I got 8 blue legs and 1 scarlet. I am planning to add a few more blue legs.

If you are worried about the hermits fighting and killing for shells, then just ask the LFS for a few empty shells, large ones. I have done this and istead of fighting the hermits come over to the shell pile and take thier pick.

CHromis, the first initial numbers are ok, but I would do 3 of each. Also throw in some Orange foot Turbos and a few astreas. A fighting Congh would be awesome in there too. IME, only limit yourself to pin head sized blue and green knee reef hermits and like 4 decent sized Scarlets..... As Sahin said, ask fer extra shells, they will be particular, I dont see crabs in Turbo snail shells ever.

Your message is somewhat cryptic Dave. Here is what I am getting out of it, am I right?

3 Ceriths

3 Astreas

3 Nassarius

3 Trochus

3 Bumble Bees

3 Orange Foot Turbos

1 Fighting Conch

4 Scarlet Hermits

4 (pin-head sized) Blue Green & Knee Reef Hermits

???

Archived