Cultivated Reef

LED Frag Tank build

Shores805

Decided to start a build for the frag tank.For now the build will be geared towards accent-only for morning/night viewing( No whites, just a combo of B, RB, 420's etc.)I love my T5's, but once they start to take a dive Ill entertain the possibility of ditching the T5's and going LED only to light/grow the tank as Ive seen others get some solid results.

Materials: Asis Heatsinks from my buddy CJung's company CNCReef.These things are sleek B) Theyre custom milled with a special bit for rounded edges and the fan sits flush within the profile of the unit, along with a bunch of other technical specs regarding the physics of heat evacuation that I dont quite understand..

Drivers a WiFi controllable driver

LEDs: probably a mixed bag of Edison Blue strips, some CREEs, and other various diodes. Need to do a little sourcing research.

Mounting: As its not going to be the sole form of lighting, Ill probably end up using a gooseneck mount system that allows me to simply bend the unit out of the way during the day. Down the road when I lose the T5's I may rig up a canopy system.

Still in the very beginning phases so apologies for a lack of pics.

Thanks for looking, suggestions/comments welcome;)

post-74288-1346966256_thumb.jpg

post-74288-1346966265_thumb.jpg

post-74288-1346966277_thumb.jpg

post-74288-1346966288_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

Those heatsinks are badass. Where can they be purchased?

And the longer you keep those T5's around, the more you'll be paying for the same (if not inferior) light. ;)

Very nice heatsinks. I am glad to see more options coming to our hobby.

Thanks, and I agree. It's also nice to see how far the aesthetics w LEDs themselves has come.

Those heatsinks are badass. Where can they be purchased?

And the longer you keep those T5's around, the more you'll be paying for the same (if not inferior) light. ;)

Yeah there's nothing really holding me to t5s. My lady's office 12 gallon is led lit and the corals are doing just fine. Btw is that a snowflake clown in your sig? Sick. Still looking for a good pair.

jedimasterben

Forgot to mention, for LEDs, Steve's LEDs.

Base NW/RB/RB: http://shop.stevesleds.com/3-up-Tristar-Se...ar-Separate.htm

Exotic DR/CB/Cy: http://shop.stevesleds.com/3-up-Tristar-Co...r-AntiDisco.htm

Violet: http://shop.stevesleds.com/3-Watt-True-Vio...-TrueViolet.htm

Drivers: http://store.bravoelectro.com/ledpowersupp...able-p-229.html (this is the PWM version of the Meanwell, they also sell the 0-10v version for the same price, will save you tons of money vs buying them from an "LED" site)

You sure that red one isn't a speak-n-spell?

nmah2000_07803.jpg

=)

I was so truly befuddled by the wit of your speak and spell photo that I have no response. Carry on.

Maybe I missed it but is there a link to those heatsinks

I see that cncreef.com works, but I don't see those specific heatsinks on the site.

I agree, they are pretty slick.

I see that cncreef.com works, but I don't see those specific heatsinks on the site.

I agree, they are pretty slick.

Last I heard itll be up in a couple days. Pm me if you want his email.

Showed my lady the Red one and looks like its going up after all. Got him to cut me a black top plate for it to tone down some of the flare ;) Im starting a Seahorse only (w coral) tank in the next couple months so Ill probably throw it over that tank.

post-74288-1347304927_thumb.jpg

post-74288-1347304947_thumb.jpg

Quick update, got held up for a few days. I work full time plus help Chris out in the shop here and there on some of my off days. The red heatsink is on the back burner right now until I set up the seahorse tank. Still need to do a bunch of research before I attempt that build. Ill be focusing on the frag tank build for now. Will be using Edison Edixeon S strips,(RB,CB combo) and still undecided on what else to add but most likely some 420's. Any thoughts welcome. Again, this will be strictly for night actinic effect while my regular lights are off. Down the road though Ill be swapping out my t5s for all LED. More pics to come!

post-74288-1347919329_thumb.jpg

Wait, so these are only as nightlights or supplements to the T5 and nightlights? I'd recommend to never use more than one LED per 24" as a nightlight, and even then, keep it dimmed as low as possible as to not disturb anything during the night cycle.

Wait, so these are only as nightlights or supplements to the T5 and nightlights? I'd recommend to never use more than one LED per 24" as a nightlight, and even then, keep it dimmed as low as possible as to not disturb anything during the night cycle.

I have moonlights;) These fixtures wont be functioning as such.This build is basically actinic only for night viewing once the t5s go off. Basically wanted to do a build now, but I still have some mileage on my t5's. I'll eventually mix in more of a full spectrum and ditch the t5s completely. For now it's RB,CB,TV and possibly a 660 red.

I have moonlights;) These fixtures wont be functioning as such.This build is basically actinic only for night viewing once the t5s go off. Basically wanted to do a build now, but I still have some mileage on my t5's. I'll eventually mix in more of a full spectrum and ditch the t5s completely. For now it's RB,CB,TV and possibly a 660 red.

Makes sense now that I re-read it. B)

Those are some really professional and clean looking heatsinks, just awesome looking. If they had those slots like the makers one they would be the ultimate DIY heatsink.

• 2 months later...
Those are some really professional and clean looking heatsinks, just awesome looking. If they had those slots like the makers one they would be the ultimate DIY heatsink.

Thanks. Life's been getting in the way of these builds the past few months but I just ordered a new tank today( shallow cube, drilled). Going to get this project rolling shortly.

Archived