Innovative Marine Aquariums

stock bc lighting to sunpod 150w

n2tanks

I just switched to a sunpod 150w 14k phoenix from stock pc lights it seems to be dimmer and not covering the whole tank as good any thoughts or advice?New to metal halide lights is this normal?

I just switched to a sunpod 150w 14k phoenix from stock pc lights it seems to be dimmer and not covering the whole tank as good any thoughts or advice?New to metal halide lights is this normal?

Do you have a good reflector?

Using a new bulb? If so, did you give it a couple of days to break in? I have a sunpod 150w over my AP24 and it fills the tank well. The shimmer is awesome however I kinda miss my old actinics. I think your just used to PCs as they evenly cover the tank. MH lights your tank from one spot (which creates the shimmer effect) so the edges would not be as bright as the center. But 150w on this size tank should not have a noticable dark spots... Maybe a little shading in a cave.

Using a new bulb? If so, did you give it a couple of days to break in? I have a sunpod 150w over my AP24 and it fills the tank well. The shimmer is awesome however I kinda miss my old actinics. I think your just used to PCs as they evenly cover the tank. MH lights your tank from one spot (which creates the shimmer effect) so the edges would not be as bright as the center. But 150w on this size tank should not have a noticable dark spots... Maybe a little shading in a cave.

It is a new bulb and I think I just had to get use to the medal halide light.Love the simmer and corals are responding well to the new light.Next thing I need is a ATO.Thanks for the input on the light.

I can personally vouch for the Tunze. Hated the price but love the product!

I'm actually considering adding some LEDs for actinic supplementation. I have plently of bue with the 14k phoenix however I don't think the MH make the coral glow enough (or give it the pop as they say). What do you think?

I can personally vouch for the Tunze. Hated the price but love the product!

I'm actually considering adding some LEDs for actinic supplementation. I have plently of bue with the 14k phoenix however I don't think the MH make the coral glow enough (or give it the pop as they say). What do you think?

The tunze is the one I was thinking of getting.I like the glow so far but I bet some leds would make them pop more maybe a magenta color would work.

I just send an email to RapidLED asking for suggestions... I'll post some pics of my setup in a little. I just moved some things around and stirred up some sand & pissed off some zoas. :) I'm not ready to part with my MH just yet.

Archived