Coral Vue Hydros

AquaMaxx Nano Star Calcium Reactor

mad28gnc

So does anyone have a AquaMaxx Nano Star Calcium Reactor if sohow do you like it?

What do you like about?

What do you dislike about it?

Could it be used under a tank with longer tubes?

would be pretty hard to find someone here with a calcium reactor as most of us does manually, yet alone that specific reactor...

does look nice tho

would be pretty hard to find someone here with a calcium reactor as most of us does manually, yet alone that specific reactor...

does look nice tho

And how cool would it be on a 7.5 gal?

i think its really more hassle than its worth. you will have to set this up somewhere next to your tank, with an CO2 bottle, a PH controller prob sticking in your tank, and tubes running everywhere. then gotta dial in how much it need to does, if any, for your system. worry about it crashing your system if it over dose.

where as i can just buy a bottle of 2 part solution and add a few ml and would last me months.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be ordering either the Nano-star or the CR-1 myself fairly soon, I was going to build my own but after pricing everything out it is actually cheaper for my to just buy either the cr-1 or the nano-star since building it myself would be about 150 and may not be as good of quality as one of these units

I have a list of stuff that I will be building/ordering/installing on my RSM130 soon enough and that includes a calcium reactor, ReefAngel, 2 media reactors, custom built sump, MP10,Mag Drive 12, Avast marine CS-1 skimmer and Avast marine swabbie skimmer neck cleaner

The reason I am doing the Mag Drive is because of how I will be building the sump I am going to run the Mag drive externally instead of inside the sump so as to help keep heat out of the tank and give me a considerable amount of extra room inside the sump because I wont have to deal with the large pump being in it, Plus the Mag 12 will give me more than enough flow through the sump to keep the water crystal clear and allow me to valve it down a bit if I need to since I will have the MP10 in the tank as well for circulation

I will post a review when I get the Calcium reactor in and installed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bwoodward0012

was curious about it as well for my 50 gallon i'm setting up. i currently manually dose tropic marin bio calcium but would like another route to keep things more stable without having to manually dose every day. i'm thinking a dosing pump system may be slightly cheaper up front, and might be better for a nano. you gotta consider the nano star is like 130 or 140 itself, then you need a bottle (around 80 for a new one), a regulator (well over $100) a solenoid (no idea how much), and not required but would be a good idea is a ph controller (also no idea). all that doesn't even count the media and its probably well over $400 where as a brs dual dosing pump for 2 part is $140 and i'd splurge for the new avast marine small dosing barrels to store the 2 parts for $99, plus some tubing.... way less.

but i'd still like to find out about the reactor as my neighbors 210 has incredible growth and all he does is run a calcium reactor.

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

I am starting to think about going the calcium reactor route versus dosing 2-parts (currently using about half a gallon every 3 weeks), and was wondering if anyone did try this calcium reactor?

• 11 months later...

I picked up a used Aquamaxx HOT calc reactor. It's the discontinued one but you can still see it on their site. After buying a couple of retaining clips and a replacement screw to hold the bubble counter on the reactor, it's doing great. I already had the pH probes and controllers (Reef Keeper Lites) to monitor both tank pH and reactor pH. Using a very slow bubble, and drip, the reactor stays between 6.3 and 6.9 with the tank sating well above 8.15 during the day, and so far, not falling lower than 7.85 at night. The Alk level is still increasing in the tank to 9dkh (where I plan to keep it) and once there, I'm hopeful that it will stay above 8 at night too. The SPS have shown immediate positive reactions with nice white growth on every tip. I stingily believe that the extra co2 being added to the tank is having a positive affect on the zooxanthellae in the coral tissue walls and is increasing calcification. My tank is an 18" cube with a 10 gal sump below. Roughly 30 gals of h2o in all.

Archived