Innovative Marine Aquariums

Humiditiy Issues

fretfreak13

Hey guys,

I have a new tank in my room and seem to be having some humidity issues. I woke up this morning and the mirror behind the tank had condensation on it, as well as the table beneath the tank. Across the room, even my betta's little bowl had water on the outside. Have had him for years and that has never happened until I put the saltwater tank in my room.

I'm worried about my computer, TV, and xbox! What is causing this and how can I stop it? Thanks!

Hm, I suppose thats my only option. My issues with that are a have two cats and my betta bowl is open-topped. They got him once and I thought he was a goner, but he recovered and has more personality. However, he doesn't have a tail. lol

Secondly, my house does not have central air, I have a window unit. If I open the door, all the cold air gets out. T_T

I guess I'll move the betta up higher and hope they don't notice him, and then just deal with the heat?

Was your room humid before you turned your ac on? My dresser and everythig will get moist to the point of drips if I leave the ac on all night during the summer and don't run a dehumidifier.

Spose if you have the cash you could get a dehumidifier and see if that works, never had that problem with any of my tanks though.

+1 on dehumdifier. Can probably get one for under 50. Do you notice the evaporation from the tank about equaling the condensation? Or perhaps your a/c unit is struggling with increased heat from the tank and it's not adequately removing water before returning air.

The tank has only been in there for four days and I haven't even had to top it off yet, so no on the evap=condensation thing.

The room wasn't humid before the AC either. Actually, it gets so dry in there from the AC (or at least I think), my boyfriend gets random nosebleeds in the middle of the night. I could get a dehumidifier no problem, do you guys have any brand suggestions? I'm going to ask the guy who made the tank for me if he has similar problems with the same model, too.

The only other problem I see potentially arising is that this tank is coming with me this spring when I move into my dorm at college. I'm already using a whole powerstrip, plus space for the tank. I hope I don't need to drag a dehumidifier with me too. =(

Just thought about it, humidity has been extremely high here from Isaac so it might just be from that. Also I've kept aquariums near my xbox/computers and never had any issues. Wait a few days and see if the outside humidity goes down and see if that changes anything.

I had a 44 that had a total bottom/top surface area of about 300 square inches. If 300 square inches (about the footprint of a 20H) caused my room to be slightly more humid, then a 6 gallon won't do jack.

Just open a window and use a fan.

Obviously a huge problem somewhere. Your air condition should also be dehumidifying as water is a by product. A dehumidifier would not make anything better because a dehumidifier has a compressor just like an ac however the dehumidifier doesn't exhaust the hot air it produces outside so you would be adding more heat to your room.

Is your AC properly sized for your room? If its way too big then it may not run long enough to take the humidity out of the room. If its dry in your room then water would not be condensing on the outside of your tank. And tell your boyfriend to lay off the coke. Dry air isn't his problem!

Think about a cold glass of iced tea. Water condenses on the ouside of the glass because the contents inside the glass is colder then the outside temp. In your case it would be opposite... The water inside your tank should be warmer then the outside air so you shouldn't have any condensation at all... Unless your ac is blowing directly on your tank cooling the glass.

What temp is the room with the AC on? If there is a large discrepancy between the room temp and your tank temp, condensation. Like what Mstefa said.

I have my open top tank in a small room with a window ac unit, never have had condensation issues but I keep the room 76-78.

My tank is in the basement (already the high humidity place) I got a dehumidifier this summer and it has really helped. My basement was 70-75% and now is like 50-55%. Mold can grow above 50, but will be bad if it's way higher obviously.

I thought the dehumidifier would make the tank evap a lot faster, but it's hardly been noticible. Making extra RODI is a fair trade off for not having a muggy home for me.

Also it does add some heat to the room, but again, it's a worthy tradeoff.

Do you have hardwood floors or carpet? I have an window A/C unit in my bedroom with two 5.5 gallon tanks and a hardwood floor. Never had a problem with condensation. This leads me to believe that maybe your A/C unit isn't removing moisture from the room. Also, the only time I see water dripping from my A/C unit is when its actually humid outside and/or raining. Just a thought.

Obviously a huge problem somewhere. Your air condition should also be dehumidifying as water is a by product. A dehumidifier would not make anything better because a dehumidifier has a compressor just like an ac however the dehumidifier doesn't exhaust the hot air it produces outside so you would be adding more heat to your room.

Is your AC properly sized for your room? If its way too big then it may not run long enough to take the humidity out of the room. If its dry in your room then water would not be condensing on the outside of your tank. And tell your boyfriend to lay off the coke. Dry air isn't his problem!

Think about a cold glass of iced tea. Water condenses on the ouside of the glass because the contents inside the glass is colder then the outside temp. In your case it would be opposite... The water inside your tank should be warmer then the outside air so you shouldn't have any condensation at all... Unless your ac is blowing directly on your tank cooling the glass.

As far as I know it is? I just turned 18, so worrying about stuff like that has always been my parents deal. lol I've used this same window unit for five years or so without noticing any problems with it, specifically.

And LOL! He's probably the cleanest kid you'll ever meet. He looks at me funny for drinking wine with dinner.

The AC is literally on the other side of the room. I'll take a picture and show you what I mean.

What temp is the room with the AC on? If there is a large discrepancy between the room temp and your tank temp, condensation. Like what Mstefa said.

I have my open top tank in a small room with a window ac unit, never have had condensation issues but I keep the room 76-78.

I believe its about 68, with the tank being closer to 80. The funniest thing is, this isn't an open top tank. o.O It has fitted acryllic lids covering the display area and the AIO section, PLUS a canopy that goes on top of that.

Do you have hardwood floors or carpet? I have an window A/C unit in my bedroom with two 5.5 gallon tanks and a hardwood floor. Never had a problem with condensation. This leads me to believe that maybe your A/C unit isn't removing moisture from the room. Also, the only time I see water dripping from my A/C unit is when its actually humid outside and/or raining. Just a thought.

My floors are carpet. Right now they feel damp and icky and make me very sad. ='(

I have had tanks in this room before, just not this particular tank. This one is running LEDs and the old one ran T5s, which were much hotter and I would think that would make it evap/condensate even more right? But no, I never had a problem before this. So far I've been leaving the window open, but I really hope this humidity is from the hurricane. Along with the electronics, I have four very beautiful and expensive guitars in my room.

I believe its about 68, with the tank being closer to 80. The funniest thing is, this isn't an open top tank. o.O It has fitted acryllic lids covering the display area and the AIO section, PLUS a canopy that goes on top of that.

You are effectively chilling everything in your room to a temperature that makes the warm, moist air evaporating from your tank condense on it. Even with a top there has to be some evaporation. Try raising the temperature of the room in increments, a couple degrees at a time, until the condensation lessens/stops.

Archived