inTank Media Baskets

what kind/brand of thermometer do you use?

reefriot

I've got 4 coralife digital temps and 3 are brand new. Not one of them tell the same temp. 2 are off by less than 2 degrees and 1 is off by over 7 degrees. I'm not buying these POS any more. Would like to get a RKL. But have 5 tanks I need thermometers for. Right now using the old school glass floaters

What works good and is easier to read then the glass thermometers?

I picked up the glass hang on for rimless tanks from marine depot. It is accurate as far as I can tell, reads much quicker than the coralife, and is pretty fail proof if you don't break it. My coralife would give different random readings for up to 30 minutes if I ever turned it off or switched it from my tank to water change bucket. After a while (less than a years use) it would randomly jump from 78 to 85* . Garbage.

All thermometers in this hobby suck. Get a jager heater and use your hand to check the temp. Unless it feels really cold or really hot, you're fine.

TeflonTomDosh
All thermometers in this hobby suck. Get a jager heater and use your hand to check the temp. Unless it feels really cold or really hot, you're fine.

Are you serious right now? Get the 1.50 glass thermometer from walmart with the green suction cup.

I am curious how you measure your body temperature when you suspect you may be sick. Please, tell us, please.

Are you serious right now? Get the 1.50 glass thermometer from walmart with the green suction cup.

+1

I use the glass thermometer in my sump and i have one of those cheap stickers on the display so i can just ballpark the temp without gettin down under the cabinet.

I am curious how you measure your body temperature when you suspect you may be sick. Please, tell us, please.

Lmao

He crams his hand in his mouth if it doesnt feel like ice or lava then he must be tip top :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, using your hand is probably the worst possible way to check the temp. That's why some people can feel hot and others cold in a room with the same temperature.

I prefer glass thermometers. Check out the ones made by ADA. They're shaped like a candy cane to hang over the glass edge.

I use my hand cause all the thermometers I have used ended up breaking in a couple months, digital or analog. I use a jager, and I'll know it's broken because it will feel very hot or cold if it does.

Any anomalies can be seen with the livestock behavior.

I use the digital one baked into my Fluval e50-series heater. Knock on wood, but it actually does appear to read accurately... periodically I test with an IR thermometer against my rockscape and it's always within .5 of a degree or closer.

JW Pet Smart Temp Thermometer Aquarium Magnetic Adjustable. I have one each of my 4 tanks. For fun, I transferred them into different tanks one day. They all came out at the correct temp for the tank they ended up in.

I've had countless digital Coralifes over the years and they always seem to read a bit off but are pretty close. Glass ones have worked better in my opinion. However I currently use a Reefkeeper Lite with iTemp and definitely trust that. My Glass thermometer reads the same which is nice to know!

Are you suggesting I throw away my Refractometer and use my tongue to messure my salinity also?

Use a crappy stick on one on every tank I own. It's not accurate, but it will save your A** when you notice the temp going crazy as you walk by.

I also monitor mine with a controller, but being able to see it quickly is priceless. If you have a controller, make sure to hang your heater off a port and create an auto shutoff setting so that the heater doesn't nuke the tank "when" it fails.

I use a stick em thermometer on all my tanks only to see at a glance if the temp is extreme. I test with glass thermometer and calibrate my controllers to the glass thermometer.

Archived