Coral Vue Hydros

Zoanthids detaching from rocks

Atela

Lately, I have noticed that my well established zoanthids seem to be detaching themselves from the rocks that they once upon a time appeared to be firmly attached to. Is this a common occurrence, or is this a sign that they are experiencing some sort of health issues? My params are all within a safe margin. My salinity is fine. Could it be temperature related? My tank has been warmer than it was in the winter. Are zoas temperature sensitive?

I hardly see zoa detach themself from the rock unless it base infected or damaged.

I may have to research zoanthid infections. I don't see any critters of any sort. The only asterinas that I have are the white ones, and I rarely see them around any of the zoas that are detaching.

Most Times I treat infections with a peroxide dip (50/50 with tank water) for 5 mins. If you suspect critters they usually launch them selves from rock at that time too. Otherwise, did you recently move them or inclrease flow? Are the ones detaching on the edge of a rock?

Otherwise, did you recently move them or inclrease flow? Are the ones detaching on the edge of a rock?

Come to think of it, I did get a replacement for my 400 powerhead. I was sent a 600 by mistake, but was told that it should be fine. It does seem like the detaching ones are from the outer edge of the colony. Perhaps they might have accidentally gotten nudged at some point.

are they closed up and shriveled when they detach?

Sort of. They don't look like they are dead though.

thehobdenmarina

If they are getting direct flow or more then they are used to this happens its happened to me. I would try moving them into a lower flow area and see if it helps.

If they are getting direct flow or more then they are used to this happens its happened to me. I would try moving them into a lower flow area and see if it helps.

Will look into that. Thank you. And thank you to everyone else who has commented. :)

Lately, I have noticed that my well established zoanthids seem to be detaching themselves from the rocks that they once upon a time appeared to be firmly attached to. Is this a common occurrence, or is this a sign that they are experiencing some sort of health issues? My params are all within a safe margin. My salinity is fine. Could it be temperature related? My tank has been warmer than it was in the winter. Are zoas temperature sensitive?

Here is a link to zoa diseases and issues that may be of help to you

http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_in...?articles_id=51

I've seen zoas detach for two reasons mostly. One bring if doesn't like where it is and two it may be over crowded from its colony and want to represent itself elsewhere.

Albert, Hi! Thank you for that link. All good info!

Jeffro, Those are some good theories as well! Thank you.

Not sure if that was all the info you needed but glad you like the link.

You can do searches of course for more of them on Bing or Google

Mr. Microscope

Do they look healthy otherwise? I've had a couple detach in a crowded area and float around the tank kinda like a mushroom. Seems like it might be a natural thing.

Do they look healthy otherwise? I've had a couple detach in a crowded area and float around the tank kinda like a mushroom. Seems like it might be a natural thing.

They seem to be getting smaller, but don't seem to be dying as they detach.

Could a crab be plucking them off?

i had a zoa with like 6-8 heads that was barely attached to a tip of the frag plug fall off because a crab kept walking by it and rubbing it with his shell

i just dropped the free floating zoa in a crevice of a live rock and it eventually stuck to it and is growing alot better now since its new placement spot is higher now.

i guess it didnt like its placement (low in the tank and lots of crab traffic) so it free'd itself

Archived