Top Shelf Aquatics

plugging a hole

berbotty

Hello, just got a 40 gallon breeder, drilled with one too many holes. Instead of capping and plugging and having an eyesore on my display can i get a piece of glass and silicone it to the inside of the tank coverring the hole. the hole is at the right side of the 40g about 2 inches off the bottom, thx for thoughts

What did they use it for? capping would be safer than siliconing it. The silicone would probably work but being 2" off the bottom it would have the full pressure of the water volume, and if it leaked, everything is coming out. it would be safer to get a new one during petco's $1 sale.

Jackal_Knight
Hello, just got a 40 gallon breeder, drilled with one too many holes. Instead of capping and plugging and having an eyesore on my display can i get a piece of glass and silicone it to the inside of the tank coverring the hole. the hole is at the right side of the 40g about 2 inches off the bottom, thx for thoughts

I wouldnt that close to the bottom. Might start leaking. I would just cap it off and cover it up with your sand bed or some Live rock.

I have.a custom glass tank that's 24x14x14 and was drilled for over flow and return. I retired that tank and gave it to my brother. He wanted to setup a fresh water planted tank and didn't like the over flow so I removed it and plugged the hole with a piece of 1/4" acrylic and lots of silicone. The whole is at the bottom, and it held up for more than a year.

I'd still spend the $40 on a new tank at Petco during their $1 a gallon sale versus risking 40 gallons of water dumping all over the floor and ruining flooring and who knows what else.

I'd still spend the $40 on a new tank at Petco during their $1 a gallon sale versus risking 40 gallons of water dumping all over the floor and ruining flooring and who knows what else.

You know when you to expect the next sale. I am moving to Las Vegas and want to upgrde during the process...

Archived