Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Re-Locating Corals

Steventomas

Hey all

So I am about ready for my first corals, i plan on starting out with some mushrooms and zoas, beacause they are hardy and sustainable under my PC lighting.

Anyhow i am curious about moving these corals from the LFS, once i get home with them what is the proper acclimation procedure for these corals and can they be exposed to air when coming out of the bag or not?

So far i have only acclimated fish with 100% success and i would like to get the same results with the corals,

thanks in advance!

Well there's a bunch of ways, some people drip acclimate, some only float for temp and put them in, I've even heard of some who just get em home and put em in. No matter what you should at a minimum dip them in a coral dip to remove them of unwanted parasites. Coral rx is a product I've had good success with. Usually what I do is test the water the corals come in to see if it's close to my tank parameters. If it is, I temp. acclimate, prepare a coral rx bath,dip, rinse, and in they go. If the water from the corals is way different then I drip em. Some will say its not necessary but why take a chance. Up to this point in 6+ yrs of reeling I've never lost a coral to acclimation.

Well there's a bunch of ways, some people drip acclimate, some only float for temp and put them in, I've even heard of some who just get em home and put em in. No matter what you should at a minimum dip them in a coral dip to remove them of unwanted parasites. Coral rx is a product I've had good success with. Usually what I do is test the water the corals come in to see if it's close to my tank parameters. If it is, I temp. acclimate, prepare a coral rx bath,dip, rinse, and in they go. If the water from the corals is way different then I drip em. Some will say its not necessary but why take a chance.

Thank you!

Where can i buy the coral rx dip and what is the procedure for that? Acclimate the coral, dip, rinse in the water it came in, and then bag? or am i missing something here. I am assuming that it is okay for the coral to be exposed to the air through all this moving?

I think you can usually find coral rx at a good LFS. I order mine from marine depot. Contact with air is ok as long as its not an extended period of time. Clams and sponges should not however.they should always stay submerged. Usually I make my dip water with tank water so I can measure the amount I'm making. I then drip acclimate if necessary. Once I finish the drip I put the coral in the rx bath for 5-10min, using a turkey baster I lightly blow the water over the coral to help remove parasites or hitchikers. You can also use a small power head or gently shake the coral. I then use the water I acclimated them in to rinse. You can also use some water out of the tank for your rinse. Just make sure you don't forget to rinse.

I think you can usually find coral rx at a good LFS. I order mine from marine depot. Contact with air is ok as long as its not an extended period of time. Clams and sponges should not however.they should always stay submerged. Usually I make my dip water with tank water so I can measure the amount I'm making. I then drip acclimate if necessary. Once I finish the drip I put the coral in the rx bath for 5-10min, using a turkey baster I lightly blow the water over the coral to help remove parasites or hitchikers. You can also use a small power head or gently shake the coral. I then use the water I acclimated them in to rinse. You can also use some water out of the tank for your rinse. Just make sure you don't forget to rinse.

Sounds straightforward to me! Im sure my lfs has coral rx, they have everything it seems like.

I appreciate your help!!

I always just dip, whether it be with a hydrogen peroxide, coral rx or revive. The other parameters should not effect the coral as much unless their salinity is way off.

Archived