SaltCritters.com

Cleaning an old tank.

Haelstrom

So I acquired an old 50ish gallon tank from a friends dad. They used to have it setup as a talk water tank. It has been sitting in a shed for the past 10 years with no water. The glass is nice and frosty looking. Any suggestions on how to clean it up? And should I entertain the idea of resealing the tank or just test it out? Would hate for it spring a leak a month or so down the road.

Second part. What to do with it? All I have is the tank, stand and glass lid. I can't afford right now to make a reef tank out of it. Too much cost in lighting and reef specific stuff. Thinking a FOWLR or just going fresh water planted. Is the cost of lighting for planted as expensive as reefs?

kevinlogan42
So I acquired an old 50ish gallon tank from a friends dad. They used to have it setup as a talk water tank. It has been sitting in a shed for the past 10 years with no water. The glass is nice and frosty looking. Any suggestions on how to clean it up? And should I entertain the idea of resealing the tank or just test it out? Would hate for it spring a leak a month or so down the road.

Second part. What to do with it? All I have is the tank, stand and glass lid. I can't afford right now to make a reef tank out of it. Too much cost in lighting and reef specific stuff. Thinking a FOWLR or just going fresh water planted. Is the cost of lighting for planted as expensive as reefs?

If the tank has been sitting that long the silicone will be shot. You will want to strip out the old and reseal it before you add water. The frosty looking glass can be clead with a razor while your stripping the silicone. Just make sure you have the glass clean before you reseal it.

Kevin

If the tank has been sitting that long the silicone will be shot. You will want to strip out the old and reseal it before you add water. The frosty looking glass can be clead with a razor while your stripping the silicone. Just make sure you have the glass clean before you reseal it.

Kevin

Fun. Thanks for the input.

Archived