Top Shelf Aquatics

WC True Perc Clownfish is anorexic

Steventomas

Hey all

My tank finally cycled. All my water parameters are right on. So of course I decided to add fish. I got two true percula clownfish. Which I later discovered one is wild caught and the other is tank raised.

Anyhow I cannot get them to eat. I tried pellets. They liked that for a day and now won't touch it. So then I went on to frozen mysis which I thawed and mixed with some saltwater and poured into the tank. The first time they went crazy. Then nothin. Sometimes one of the fish will take one of the mysis and then spit it back out.

I have had the clowns a week tomorrow so maybe they are just settling in or maybe there is some other problem just looking for some input.

Thanks!

I'm assuming your title... WC, means wild caught? If so, they may have some sort of internal parasite that is effecting their appetite. Do a SEARCH, there are many topics in the Disease and Pest Treatment section.

Good Luck.

I started with small clowns, and they would not feed on anything larger than their mouths for a couple of weeks. I ended up feeding them with pellets that I've crushed into itty bitty tiny pieces (and these are the small 0.5mm pellets). Eventually they started taking the 0.5mm pellets soaked in aquarium water, and then chopped/crushed frozen mysis (thawed for a few minutes, of course). They will still decline large mysis pieces though. Weirdly enough though, my yellowline goby, the tiny little thing, would gobble mysis 1/4 of his body length.

Also, try stepping back from the tank and letting them eat without you hovering over them - I found they were pretty shy for the first week as well.

Deleted User 3

My fish sometimes dont eat when i feed, and sometimes pig out, sometimes just one, sometimes both. I just assume they are full, maybe they eat pods in your tank and are full?

I'm assuming your title... WC, means wild caught? If so, they may have some sort of internal parasite that is effecting their appetite. Do a SEARCH, there are many topics in the Disease and Pest Treatment section.

Good Luck.

One of the fish is wild caught and the other is tank raised.

slickwill613

Had the SAME issue with one of mine. I got it "Rod's food", the fish only kind. When I feed the tank with it, EVERYTHING in there goes ape chit, snails, crabs, fish, even the coral opens after a couple minutes. I'm telling you, Rod's food does the trick.

My maroon clowns are wild caught and fed them new era marine flakes from day 1 with frozen mysis and brine might be shy if too much noise.

My clown charges everytime i go near the glass but has no issues with eating anything

Good luck

They will eat once hungry. Wait 3-5 days before trying to feed them again. They will get the point. You could also try frozen bloodworms.

Archived