Coral Vue Hydros

Flow for 29 gallon tank

Dabiz

I have a standard 29 gallon tank + 6gallon sump which I am going to make a reef. I have 2 Hydor Koralina Nano 425gph circulation pumps. Yesterday I put everything together to test the lighting, overflow/return for the sump and the circulation pumps before I get my sand/live rock and fill with saltwater.

The two 425g nano pumps didn't push the water around like I expected. My gut tells me its not enough flow but I don't really know as this is my first SW tank. How can one tell if its "enough flow"?

flow depends on what you are keeping. softies and lps dont require as much flow as SPS. also corals like random flow more than a linear one directional flow.

so depending on what you plan on keeping, the pumps you have now may or may not be adequate. but 2 nanos, under 900gph total for a 29G tank is kind of low. i would go with a koralia 550 and/or 750 and play around with the positioning to see if it will work in your tank and rock layout

flow depends on what you are keeping. softies and lps dont require as much flow as SPS. also corals like random flow more than a linear one directional flow.

so depending on what you plan on keeping, the pumps you have now may or may not be adequate. but 2 nanos, under 900gph total for a 29G tank is kind of low. i would go with a koralia 550 and/or 750 and play around with the positioning to see if it will work in your tank and rock layout

I also have a BC29 and doing somthing very similiar. I just traded my koralia 750gph for another nano and a frag because the 750 was physically too big (i felt) and sttod out among the rock work. I now have two nanos (240gph each) and may go with one more (I think there is a nano that is rated around 400gph). Its more than I wanted, but the three small ones i think blend better than the one huge one. Dont forget you also add the return pump gph for total circulation.

Food for thought

I just ordered a 750gph. I will throw that in there and see if I get the water movement with that and a one of the 425s. I'll throw the other one in my saltwater holding tank to have a lil water movement in there.

I also have a BC29 and doing somthing very similiar. I just traded my koralia 750gph for another nano and a frag because the 750 was physically too big (i felt) and sttod out among the rock work. I now have two nanos (240gph each) and may go with one more (I think there is a nano that is rated around 400gph). Its more than I wanted, but the three small ones i think blend better than the one huge one. Dont forget you also add the return pump gph for total circulation.

Food for thought

Archived