Top Shelf Aquatics

meli32

hello everyone !! :) this is my first post .... i will be getting a 20 gallon tank free :))) .... so i wanted to know what type of filter i will need to convert it to saltwater ??? i have an aqua clear 20 filter LOLL clearly i don t think that will do the job .... do i just get an aqua clear 30? or another fancy filter??? i need suggestions as to what u would recommend on a 20 gal ?? and also really do i need a powerhead??? or can i get away with a powerful filter? i am thinking of a FOWLR setup with MINIMAL stock .... like only 2 true or false perculas .... please give me ur advice

Welcome to NR and the hobby! IMO, if you're good with keeping up with your water changes to remove waste, than a hang on the back filter like an aqua clear would be fine. I would still get a small powerhead for a little different flow pattern than a super powerful filter return. It will push all your sand off the bottom and leav a big bare spot, not to mention blast your clowns. Imagine being stuck infront of a super powerful fan, or even a fire hose for your whole life.

Keep asking questions! =D

You don't need any filter to have a saltwater tank. What I mean is you don't need any equipment to have proper filtration. Check the library section (top left), and you'll see that what you really need is live rock (i.e. the LR in FOWLR). Roughly, you need 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon, but you should focus on porous pieces since you want to maximize surface area for the filtering bacteria (like in an aquaclear).

Most filters have very low flow rates for SW tanks, which need roughly turnover of ~10-20X minimum (i.e. total gph divided by tank volume), and powerheads are the best options. Reliable powerheads like the koralia nanos are inexpensive and help recreate a more natural flow.

Your stocking list is fine. Make sure to get the clowns at the same time and preferrably as juveniles (i.e. don't get two random adults in case they are the same sex).

You don't need any filter to have a saltwater tank. What I mean is you don't need any equipment to have proper filtration. Check the library section (top left), and you'll see that what you really need is live rock (i.e. the LR in FOWLR). Roughly, you need 1-1.5 lbs of rock per gallon, but you should focus on porous pieces since you want to maximize surface area for the filtering bacteria (like in an aquaclear).

Most filters have very low flow rates for SW tanks, which need roughly turnover of ~10-20X minimum (i.e. total gph divided by tank volume), and powerheads are the best options. Reliable powerheads like the koralia nanos are inexpensive and help recreate a more natural flow.

Your stocking list is fine. Make sure to get the clowns at the same time and preferrably as juveniles (i.e. don't get two random adults in case they are the same sex).

yes i have started reading a bit on the perculas, i will try my best to get two tankraised babies, or small juveniles .... well i would feel weird not having any filter... but i ail deffo upgrade from the tiny 20 i will have ... some said to at least a 50, and yes i will be getting a powerhead... just want to have a good idea of what i need for equiptment before getting LR & LS

Welcome to NR and the hobby! IMO, if you're good with keeping up with your water changes to remove waste, than a hang on the back filter like an aqua clear would be fine. I would still get a small powerhead for a little different flow pattern than a super powerful filter return. It will push all your sand off the bottom and leav a big bare spot, not to mention blast your clowns. Imagine being stuck infront of a super powerful fan, or even a fire hose for your whole life.

Keep asking questions! =D

i have a feeling i will have questions LOLL but i am thinking of getting an AC 50 at least and a hydor 550 powerhead... i want to buy the right equiptment and not regret it before getting LS & LR

yes i have started reading a bit on the perculas, i will try my best to get two tankraised babies, or small juveniles .... well i would feel weird not having any filter... but i ail deffo upgrade from the tiny 20 i will have ... some said to at least a 50, and yes i will be getting a powerhead... just want to have a good idea of what i need for equiptment before getting LR & LS

i have a feeling i will have questions LOLL but i am thinking of getting an AC 50 at least and a hydor 550 powerhead... i want to buy the right equiptment and not regret it before getting LS & LR

so i ordered a tetra whisper ex 45 filter with a 450 nano koralia powerhead :) for 75$ less than the LFS :)) very happy LOLL

Archived