Top Shelf Aquatics

GARF

pudge_167

So I have order 30 pounds of rock from reefcleaners and currently am in towards the end of the cycle on my 20 gallon extra high tank. I have three snail, three crabs and a blue tail damsel. So I want to seed my rock with some good stuff not just a rock from a lfs.

This brings me to my question has anyone used GARF and if so please show me what it looks like and tell me how it helped or hurt your tank. If you have used it and have a build thread please link it for me. I just am not sure what to do to seed this rock the best way. I want this to be good rock for filtration and to look nice with nice coraline growth.

I want this to be good rock for filtration and to look nice with nice coraline growth.
Any porous calcium rock makes for good filtration, and coralline growth will come. You just need some coralline algae to start it off (which could come from a coral frag or piece of live rock) and decent calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity levels. Here's the catch, coralline actually makes the rock less porous and competes for elements that your corals require. But it does look nice. :happy:

However, if you are looking for hitchhikers, in an attempt for more diversity of life, then GARF might be what you are looking for. Unfortunately, more good hitchhikers usually means more not so good ones as well. I'm not saying to shy away from it, just be aware of what you want ahead of time. IMO, if it's just biofiltration and coralline, I wouldn't bother.

I would use ipsf before garf solely for the reason you have greater control of what you are introducing into your tank.

What is ipsf?

ipsf.com They carry microfauna and such. Have fun growing the rock! :)

edit: if someone told me I would one day write "Have fun growing that rock" I think I would have called them crazy.

ipsf.com They carry microfauna and such. Have fun growing the rock! :)

edit: if someone told me I would one day write "Have fun growing that rock" I think I would have called them crazy.

Thanks John I am Kevin that ordered the rock yesterday that you are working up for me from the drawing. Thanks for all your help and I will post nothing but good things on here for you!!

Went to the website what should I be looking for cause I am not sure what I would need from them?

So I have order 30 pounds of rock from reefcleaners and currently am in towards the end of the cycle on my 20 gallon extra high tank. I have three snail, three crabs and a blue tail damsel. So I want to seed my rock with some good stuff not just a rock from a lfs.

This brings me to my question has anyone used GARF and if so please show me what it looks like and tell me how it helped or hurt your tank. If you have used it and have a build thread please link it for me. I just am not sure what to do to seed this rock the best way. I want this to be good rock for filtration and to look nice with nice coraline growth.

Garf grunge is great for seeding a tank, but it's not pretty. It literally is "grunge", so if you're looking for a nice clean look in your display, in terms of a sand bed, I wouldn't use it. If you have a refugium though, that'd be a great place to put grunge.

Archived