Pod Your Reef

super low TDS out of the tap

doppelganger

You're talking to desertrat dude. No offense, but your study is probably a joke to him. Furthermore, tap water is dangerous and I trust my homemade RO water any day over tap water. Regardless of where it comes from.

I never once said, "tap water is not dangerous". I was simply stating that in comparison to most north american cities, New York city has some of the cleanest. And I have no idea who desert rat is but I work at the largest Waste Water Treatment plant in North America, my family has been working in the water trade for over 50 years, I am an avid member and close friends with the president of the Water Environment Federation. Im new here so sorry if this desert rat character is some water god, but he's not the only one who knows his h20.

37 years plus as a certified water and wastewater operator and plant manager and life member of AWWA and local section of AWWA and WEF. I do have a little experience and knowledge on the subject, both clean and dirty water. There are many many articles about the condition of the water in the NYC area as well as the EPA site itself. Just how many $$ has the state or city paid in fines to the EPA over the last couple decades? How many consent decrees have they been under? That tells a lot of the story right there.

As I said before they have done an amazing job but there are still suspended, turbidity and particle problems. Yes TDS is low but thats only part of the equation.

sorry if this desert rat character is some water god, but he's not the only one who knows his h20.

He'd like you to think he is -_-

If you even mention water around here certain e-penises have to start swinging.

I have more of a problem with our gov't adding sodium fluoride to almost all of the water supply in the US. It's a poison and there is no control how much we consume. It also has MANY side effects. I don't buy the "it's for your teeth" BS.

I have more of a problem with our gov't adding sodium fluoride to almost all of the water supply in the US. It's a poison and there is no control how much we consume. It also has MANY side effects. I don't buy the "it's for your teeth" BS.

With respect to only NaF, you'd have to drink gallons upon gallons of water a day for it to have any sort of poisonous effect on your body.

My TDS here in South Texas comes out at 520ppm and after my RO, it hovers around 20ppm, and after DI, 0ppm.

With respect to only NaF, you'd have to drink gallons upon gallons of water a day for it to have any sort of poisonous effect on your body.

My TDS here in South Texas comes out at 520ppm and after my RO, it hovers around 20ppm, and after DI, 0ppm.

Keep in mind naf consumption from common medications, dental products, and just about every soft drink on the market. What about all the produce that is watered from this source? Animals that we eat consume the same water. it is extremely hard to avoid. Most of us have been drinking more than a gallon per day, directly or indirectly for our entire lives. Can't be good at all for us IMO.

Anyway 520 tds !!!! Holy crap!

I am a water treatment plant operator and manager by profession and I'm not thrilled with fluoride either but it is here to stay in most areas.

Today, the national average TDS is around 250, here in the Phoenix metro area it varies from just over 500 to as high as 1200-1400 in the southwest area of the valley. I am fortunate, mine averages around 630 peaking around 800 at times.

I live in Vancouver (Canada). You know... health freaks, tree huggers, everyone rides a bike etc. The water I get out of my tap reads 2 PPM TDS. Is that even possible? I'm pretty sure it's correct because both my hand held and RO/DI tds meter read the same. I'm not great with water stuff but I just wanted to know whether or not it's possible from just say a water facility perspective (AZ I'm waiting for u ;) I know the greater vancouver area only gets as high as maybe 10-15 PPM. I'm curious what ppl in washington may get out of their taps?

I really don't know why it's so low. Any water treatment experts out there that might know? Not that I'm complaining... just curious.

Definitely possible, and I've heard of people running reef aquariums from tapwater in the Greater Vancouver area (I live here as well). The great thing about our water supply is that it comes straight from the local mountains - snowfall from last year's - and then is treated in the reservoirs. According to the official reports, in 2010 we had an average of 20ish TDS, and that was before the big Seymour-Capilano filtration plant came online. I wouldn't be surprised if it is lower now.

That said, I still filter my water, but I figure I can get away with just the DI resin (no RO). It's been working pretty well so far.

Archived