SaltCritters.com

Will this work?

Surfzup2k4

Surfzup2k4

Well, I am pretty paranoid about a power failure coupled with a design flaw on my part in regard to a basic sump type set up. I was hoping to make a pretty much dummy proof "ac500 on steroids" type ref. As the title says, will this work?

Thanks!

refidea.JPG[/img]

halmotors

I don't see any reason as to why that wouldn't work...the only think you should be cautious about is making sure your tank has enough room to absorb the overflow from the rubbermaid sump/refugium.

Although, if the power goes out...there's always the possibility that the piping for the pump will continue to siphon...which means that your sump would work even if the power DID go out...not too sure if it would, tho. I don't think there's a way to know unless you tried it out. Best of luck with it, btw.

Surfzup2k4

First of all, thanks for your input! I am planning on making the spillway for the water flowing out of the ref. to be about level with the top of the tank. But since it will be lower than the sides of the ref (the spillway), the water will have no choice but to flow into the tank. That way, there will be no way for it to overflow since the water level in the ref. will be about level with the tank level :)

i think your tube from your pump is going to start a siphon if it goes power goes out.i know mine does so i had to raise it more to the top of the fuge so the siphon would break b4 the tank over flows.what i meanis when i cut power to my pump pumping to the fuge is it starts a siphon backwards back into the tank

halmotors

Good point, sprite. I - in one of my moments of mental retardation - completely missed that point.

surf...what you could do is drill a hole in the tubing just under the normal water level on the sump side. That way, once it drains to the hole, it will break the siphon.

you basicly have what i have. the problem it not the overflow continuing but the hose to the pump creating a backflow into your tank. it does mine. a hole in the hose will not work because you are pulling the water in instead of pushing it out. the way i solved it was a separate waterproof compartment for the pump that overflows into the rest of the fuge. stuffed to the top with rock (to displace water) this compartment does not hold enough water to over flow my tank.

my solution for your system would be to raise your pump as high as you can off the bottom. as the water drains bask into the tank the pump will eventually suck air, breaking syphon.

nalbar

btw, i did the rubbermaid path when i first started. they bow to much when full. try to make a fuge with acrylic. it is really quite simple. then you can make a compartment like i described.

nalbar

I am making my refugium the exact same way. I also have a check valve to put inline on the pump side. If you try it before I do, please post and let me know if it worked!! I'll do the same ;)

Archived