Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20g TALL sump/flow help

ericnobody

So first and foremost, howdy and salutations to all, first post here. I'm new to saltwater, and we've begun cycling our 20g tall tank, we intend on going a few coral, unsure of type, and inverts. Eventually we'll expand into a 55g when we're feeling good about it.

My question is, what size of return pump should i be using? it's a 10 tank i'll be turning into a refugium and also housing my skimmer in. I assume I'll be using 1/2" or 5/8" pvc, unless someone can suggest a better size. I understand i need to match the overflow, and that i have between a 2.5 and 3ft rise back to the tank from the approximate water level in the ref.

On a side note, anyone in colorado that has some low/moderate light req frags, i'd be interested in some coming up soon here.

Cheers!

ExN

... salutations to all, first post here.
:welcome: to Nano-Reef.

Salutations? :lol: You don't hear that much these days.

My question is, what size of return pump should i be using? it's a 10 tank i'll be turning into a refugium and also housing my skimmer in. I assume I'll be using 1/2" or 5/8" pvc, unless someone can suggest a better size.
It depends on the pump. A number of popular pumps use 1/2" outputs.

I understand i need to match the overflow, and that i have between a 2.5 and 3ft rise back to the tank from the approximate water level in the ref.
Yeah, you have to push less water than the maximum flow rating for the overflow. The return pump will have about 3 feet of head pressure (not counting elbow fittings) which will reduce the maximum rated flow. It's nice to have a chart that provides flow rate at various head pressures. What overflow are you using? Do you plan on using this same overflow box and return pump for your 55 gallon tank?

Archived