Top Shelf Aquatics

Looking to upgrade

girlwhocryswolf

girlwhocryswolf

Looking for opinions. I currently have a 8 gallon aqueon evolve. I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger tank. Any suggestions on brands to look at or a size to go up to.

I'm thinking about a 36 gallon aqueon bow front. But I'm not sure. Any ideas on a better size to go to? I want to keep my 8 gallon but I'm also looking for a bigger tank that I can have more fish in.

I'm looking at this tank also any opinions if this is any good? http://www.finnex.net/index.php?option=com...1&Itemid=61

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Question also...

Is it better to buy a tank and stand combo kind of deal or is better to build yourself meaning buying just a plan basic 20 gallon long or whatever empty very plain basic tank and completely customizing it myself. .

or

Is it better to buy a combo thats already put together for you meaning you get the tank, filter, heater, etc already put together....

or

Rimless opinions? I love the look but how strong are they?

Any suggestions on brands to look at or a size to go up to.
Whatever you like, you have room for, fits your budget, fits the vision you have for the tank. Oh yeah, also fits the lighting that you want to use.

I'm thinking about a 36 gallon aqueon bow front. But I'm not sure.
I had a 7 gallon bow front and liked it. Some people are bugged by the distortion of the curved glass. However, IMO, the biggest hurdle of most bow fronts is that they are not very deep (from front to back). The dimensions given are from the middle, so the sides don't have as much room (kind of follows how most people aquascape). It will dictate your aquascaping options a little.

Plus, depending if you have a rim top light fixture, they end up being put on the back half of the tank. I would get one if that's what you like. Just be aware of the restrictions and you'll be fine. :)

I'm looking at this tank also any opinions if this is any good? http://www.finnex.net/index.php?option=com...1&Itemid=61
Acrylic tanks scratch easy. For a 75 gallon tank or smaller, I like to use glass (but that's just my preference). If you want more options, a 20 gallon tank won't give you a lot more.

Is it better to buy a tank and stand combo kind of deal or is better to build yourself meaning buying just a plan basic 20 gallon long or whatever empty very plain basic tank and completely customizing it myself.
It depends on what you are comfortable with. I don't like all in one tanks because they usually aren't an exact fit for what I want, but they are great for many people. Either way will be alright.

Rimless opinions? I love the look but how strong are they?
The name brand ones (ADA, Mr. Aqua, etc.) are plenty strong. They actually tend to use thicker glass which makes them stronger/safer than many rimmed tanks.

Based on what I've read, I'd look at a 40 gallon breeder. Also, check out Mr. Aqua's frameless tanks. They have a 48 gallon (35.4 x 17.7 x 17.7") that might work for you, but any of their tanks are nice.

Hope that helps!

girlwhocryswolf
Whatever you like, you have room for, fits your budget, fits the vision you have for the tank. Oh yeah, also fits the lighting that you want to use.

I had a 7 gallon bow front and liked it. Some people are bugged by the distortion of the curved glass. However, IMO, the biggest hurdle of most bow fronts is that they are not very deep (from front to back). The dimensions given are from the middle, so the sides don't have as much room (kind of follows how most people aquascape). It will dictate your aquascaping options a little.

Plus, depending if you have a rim top light fixture, they end up being put on the back half of the tank. I would get one if that's what you like. Just be aware of the restrictions and you'll be fine. :)

Acrylic tanks scratch easy. For a 75 gallon tank or smaller, I like to use glass (but that's just my preference). If you want more options, a 20 gallon tank won't give you a lot more.

It depends on what you are comfortable with. I don't like all in one tanks because they usually aren't an exact fit for what I want, but they are great for many people. Either way will be alright.

The name brand ones (ADA, Mr. Aqua, etc.) are plenty strong. They actually tend to use thicker glass which makes them stronger/safer than many rimmed tanks.

Based on what I've read, I'd look at a 40 gallon breeder. Also, check out Mr. Aqua's frameless tanks. They have a 48 gallon (35.4 x 17.7 x 17.7") that might work for you, but any of their tanks are nice.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the help!

I was looking at mr. aqua tanks their tanks look really nice. I really like long tanks as apposed to really tall tanks that are more narrow.

I get what you mean about the bow front I hadn't thought of it that way the distortion part . . .that might bother me a lot. As well as them being soo narrow.

I've got a lot to think about!

Thanks again!

You can get a normal glass tank and take the rim off.

If you can try and get a 30 breeder, 36 x 16 x 12 or 36 x 18 x 12. Perfect dimensions if you want long and wide.

Archived