Pod Your Reef

My Sump water level

Snapper

Okay guys so I just put about 4.75 gallons of water in my return pump chamber, 5 gal in my fuge area and was wondering, how much water should I put and should i make any markings on the outside to see how much evaporation I have had.

This is my first sump so I dont want to flood my room lmao

thadscottmoore
Okay guys so I just put about 4.75 gallons of water in my return pump chamber, 5 gal in my fuge area and was wondering, how much water should I put and should i make any markings on the outside to see how much evaporation I have had.

This is my first sump so I dont want to flood my room lmao

I made markings on my return pump chamber- gallon per mark. but, if you already built this sump, did you take into account power failure? when I built mine, I estimated a few extra gallons of reserve space in case of such an event. after I built it, I tested it multiple times to make sure that I would never have such a problem of overflowing sump.

I was told that I could fill my display tank till it starts draining into the sump. At that point fill the sump to what I would call a safe max level. After that, start the return and give it a minute or 2 to purge the sump and clear the lines. At that point, once everything is up and running, that'll be what you can call safe and sound. So if the power were to fail and all that water has to dump into the sump you know you wont have a small flood. Does that sound about right?

so let me get this right...right now I have about 10 gallons of water in the sump...

I should pour a small amount in the skimmer chamber, let it be than pour the rest in the DT, turn on the return pump and see how it works as it likely wont go dry.

Than i turn off the return pump and skimmer and see what happens when it drains back?

1. Calculate the volume your sump can hold.

2. Calculate the volume of water that will be running above the level of your overflow in the main tank or above the return pipe since the return will siphon back if power is lost. Whichever is higher is what you want to account for. Depending on what kind of overflow or drilling you did, the level of your overflow will probably be a fraction of an inch since the water will be pumped into your display slightly faster than the overflow runs without running the overflow dry/down to a trickle.

3. Do not fill the sump any more full than would allow enough extra room to handle the volume of water found in number 2.

Also make sure your return section of your sump is small enough that if the overflow fails and your return pumps that part of the sump dry, your display will not overflow.

Archived