ReefCleaners.org

Live Rock

2Reefic

Does anyone have a suggestion for a place to purchase really great live rock online. I'm looking for nice rock, affordable, and low shipping costs. Also, how much should I buy for a 28 gallon nano and do I need to cycle it for weeks in a bucket like I have seen online since the tank is new. Thanks a bunch! B)

I should have shipments in from two of my wholesalers by the end of the week. Fiji pukani, which is regarded as one of the best in terms of shape and porosity.

pukani.jpg

Fiji branch, and Indonesian live rock.

I do have a 20 pound box of fully cured marco rocks mixed with some fiji for $65.00 + $18.00 shipping available right now.

If you need premium quality live rock sooner, then I would recommend Manado from Premium Aquatics. 20 pounds should be fine, since it's more porous than most live rocks. I have a three pound piece that's nearly as big as a football weighed wet.

Enjoy.

• 2 months later...
Cloudburst2000

Well, I ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I totally recommend the. Yes, shipping is a bit expensive but with good reason. Richard overnight air ships everything IN water...not just wrapped in a wet paper towel. So there is minimal die-off. My first shipment of live rocks and sand cycled my tank in about half a week...meaning 0ppm ammonia/nitrites that fast and the ammonia never got too high anyway. I already had a ton of hitchers with the first shipment including snails, hermits, pistol shrimp, sponges, tons of worms, corals, etc. The real fun began with the second shipment. Richard includes TONS of extras with the second round of rock. I got four large sponges including a yellow ball sponge, an orange tree sponge, another orange sponge, and a gorgeous blue sponge. I received three large sea fans, more corals, an anemone, tons of hermits and snails in addition to the ones included in his package deal. I got more pistols and a mantis (who now has his own tank). I did get some gorilla crabs but was anticipating that with live rock aquacultured off Florida's coast. I captured them fairly quickly. But my fave hitcher was a tiny goby...too cute. And ALL of this stuff came with only the 15g package for a NANO tank. I got so many freebies that they wouldn't all fit in my tank. I gave my bro-in-law one of the sponges, two sea fans (they were large so I only kept one for my nano), and the anemone since my lights weren't strong enough :( With the amount of freebies I received, it more than made up for shipping costs. I checked out liveaquaria and would have paid well over what I payed in shipping if I purchased all the freebie items from them. So sometimes you get more then what you pay for. TBS was that way for me and I highly recommend them.

Archived