Pod Your Reef

Snowflake and Rod's Onyx Breeding Pair

US Marine Coral

US Marine Coral

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share some pictures and video of a new clownfish pair that just started breeding. I was lucky enough to get of the few snowflake pairs that were exported to the USA in 2003 from Tropical Marine Centre in the UK.

The female snowflake and her original mate are now 9 years old. I have breed the snowflake pair for awhile, but I wanted to shake things up and try something different. I split up the pair and gave the female snowflake a new mate, an experienced Rod's Onyx I had paired with a different female.

I was lucky that the new pair got along right away and they laid their first nest together and are hatched on July 22, 2012. I can't wait to see how they develop.

Here is a picture of the Snowflake pair

Snowflakes-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the new Male Rods Onyx

IMG_1241.jpg

Here is a picture of the new pair. CLICK on the picture below to watch a You Tube video of them with their first nest together.

Here are a few shots of a baby that was 12 Days old.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Here are a few shots of a baby that is was 21 Days old

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Today they are 31 Days Post Hatch(DPH) and coming a long very nicely. I will take video of some of them in their tank soon.

Thanks for looking :D

Marine Depot

Excellent markings on your baby clownfish! Definitely looking forward to see how they color up. Do the other baby clowns have similar markings?

Dan

US Marine Coral
Excellent markings on your baby clownfish! Definitely looking forward to see how they color up. Do the other baby clowns have similar markings?

Dan

Thanks Dan! Yes there are some other clowns that have similar markings and some even more extreme. I'll get some more shots posted as they progress.

US Marine Coral
Congrats... that's a great looking pair - can't wait to see those babies mature.

Thank you!! I can't wait to see them mature too. I wonder how dark they will get from the black onyx gene.

US Marine Coral
Those are beautiful clowns you have there

Thank you. I saw 2 of your nice pairs on another thread :-)

US Marine Coral

They laid right on schedule last night. Its their biggest nest yet. 1000+ eggs!!

I will post a pic in a day or so after the eggs darken up. Its hard to see the eggs on the orange pot the first day.

• 1 month later...
US Marine Coral
Up dates ??

Thanks for the inquiry! Yes the oldest batch is 3 mths and 4 days old today and looking great. I'll try and get some pics of them up this weekend :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived