Pod Your Reef

2 Tunze powerheads sufficient?

Ashleypoe44

Starting up a standard 29 gallon. Will 2 Tunze Turbelle NanoStream 6015 Powerhead Pumps be sufficient enough for a mostly softies tank? Planning on pretty open rockwork, so I'm hoping for no dead spots. Also, where would you place them, ideally? Or do I need to plan that around my rockwork?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

jedimasterben

That's 32x turnover by themselves, so I'd say it would be more than enough for softies. With open rockwork, you may only need a single one.

That's 32x turnover by themselves, so I'd say it would be more than enough for softies. With open rockwork, you may only need a single one.

Thanks Jedi! Then I'll def place an order for one today and wait till I set up rockwork and see how flow is. Do you like powerheads on the back wall facing forward? Or just on the side?

jedimasterben

I use three Vortech powerheads, but they're made to work best in trios, one on each side and one on the back. If I were using normal ones, I'd stick them on the sides facing inward. :)

You will be fine with 1 6015. They put out a lot more flow than I thought they would. I use 1 in my 40b but I also did the mod to mine and removed the inner shroud, it doubled the flow.

You will be fine with 1 6015. They put out a lot more flow than I thought they would. I use 1 in my 40b but I also did the mod to mine and removed the inner shroud, it doubled the flow.

How exactly did you do this?

Archived