Innovative Marine Aquariums

Market for high quality black ocellaris?

Colby88

Hey folks, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the state of the market for black ocellaris. Do you guys think there is still a good demand for these guys? It seems to me like there are very few people raising them, at least in any real numbers, I know this is partially due to the fact that they are a lot more difficult than true percs or regular orange ocellaris. Or have people quit raising them because there is no market? The fact that they still retail for $25-$50 ea (depending on location) makes me think there must still be a good demand for high quality black and whites.

Black and whites have been the focus of my attention for quite some time and I now have the capability of consistently putting out 1000+ a month, but I do not want to end up with a few thousand black and whites that nobody wants!

What do you guys think?

Thanks much.

I don't know about the current market, but first consider your location.

Do you live in or near a large town with lots of hobbyists to sell to?

Do you currently have any shipping discounts with Fed Ex or any other overnight freight service?

If so, then I'm sure you can sell them. Personally, I would try to get some unique color from hybridization.

SA B&Ws at my LFS are $39.99 a pop and they have done a great job of marketing themselves as a high-quality brand. I think you will have a really hard time moving anywhere near 1000+ a year unless you really brand/market yourself and undercut the hell out of folks like ORA and SA, lol.

Thanks, but I have zero interest in hybridizing. I should have stated my question more clearly, are many folks here still interested in a high quality FULL BAR black ocellaris, ya know the ones with out pug noses etc?

I make it a habit not to undercut folks, it is bad for the industry, and if you have ever bought fish from me they are high quality. I won't be selling retail.

I am just curious how many folks are still interested in the good ole' black and whites...still some of my personal favorites. It seems like a lot of people have forgotten how cool a beautiful natural type black and white is.

• 2 weeks later...

in order to move that many of them you will have to hook up with a wholesaler. so take the average price in a big store near you and quarter it. thats the price if you are lucky that the wholsaler will pay. if you want to sell retail then good luck moving that many clowns

Thanks, but I have zero interest in hybridizing. I should have stated my question more clearly, are many folks here still interested in a high quality FULL BAR black ocellaris, ya know the ones with out pug noses etc?

I make it a habit not to undercut folks, it is bad for the industry, and if you have ever bought fish from me they are high quality. I won't be selling retail.

I am just curious how many folks are still interested in the good ole' black and whites...still some of my personal favorites. It seems like a lot of people have forgotten how cool a beautiful natural type black and white is.

• 1 month later...

Most wholesalers have long standing relationships with their overseas suppliers and it wont be easy to find one that will cut their supplier out in favor of yours, but if you keep contacting different ones without giving up hope, I'm sure you'll find one.

My best advice is to become the wholesaler. Start a website and advertise to LFS around the country and ship 50-100 at a time. That way shipping cost is absorbed by the volume and your not stuck with a lot of fish that hobbyists have to pay $70.00 shipping for just one fish.

Archived