Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank Automation

a novice

Hello everyone,

I have been looking into a nano reef for a while now and I have only one concern/question before I start buying equipment. Annually, we go on about five 7-10 day vacations and a few long weekends. If I were to get an automatic topoff and an automatic feeder(and of course the timers and such for the pumps and lighting) would the tank be okay for vacations? I was thinking about a generator but our power rarely goes out. Thanks.

In case it matters, here is what the tank equipment would be.

-12 gallon Clear for Life IFS with bioballs removed

-2 32watt CSL PC lights

-Prizm or Backpak skimmer... still unsure which is quieter...opinion?

-all other odds and ends(heaters, test kits, etc)

Just let the tank run, dont over feed it before U go away..... it will be fine. for a week or more, have some one just top it off 2 x a week and feed it flake 2 x a week... It will be fine:)

Hello, with an auto feeder and auto top-off the tank will fine for a good 10 days. Just make sure to carry out a decent water change and any other maintenance work on the tank before you leave. If you do buy the auto feeder, make set the feeding amounts lightly and possibly skip a day in between.

My tank runs about 80F and there isnt much evap even after a week, I have left my tank while away for upto 5 days so far, with the feeding to be carried out by my younger bro. All else is fully automated (fans, lights etc).

Hope that helps.

Oh, and the Prizm is quite loud, I have one on my tank. My tank is in my bedroom, about 1.5m behind my bed.

For the first three days I couldnt sleep due to the noise it makes. I got used to it now though.

I have read many good reviews about the Backpack, so I would go for that even if its a little more cost. The Prizm is alright, but a little loud for many poeple, and its performance isnt that great.

Good luck.

Thanks Sahin. The tank would probably be in my bedroom but I seriously doubt that it would keep me awake at night. I have two large hepa filters that, unfortunetly, make alot of noise. They pretty much drown out any other noises...

Anyone else?

SAhin, I'm a bit puzzled, my LFS has a prizm skimmer on a 27 gallon reef, and it is very quiet, and skims very well...are you talking about the hang-on one, in the $70-90 price range?

Archived