Top Shelf Aquatics

Anyone use a UPS? (uninterruptable power supply)

hochunk

Does anyone use a UPS on their tank? I have been thinking about getting one just to keep the protein skimmer and powerheads going in event of an extended power outage. Given typical aquarium pumps, how long would a UPS keep things going?

Does anyone use a UPS on their tank? I have been thinking about getting one just to keep the protein skimmer and powerheads going in event of an extended power outage. Given typical aquarium pumps, how long would a UPS keep things going?

This is something I've considered. I had a small APC battery backup laying around. It said it would run a desktop computer at full-tilt for 15 minutes; the idea being that in 15 minutes you could save and safely shut down. Figure a desktop and monitor draws 400 watts.

It would probably run a small skimmer and pump for an hour or so, where a small skimmer is like a Tunze 9002.

I don't know about where you live, but out by me, outages are infrequent. When we do get them, and the power is out any longer than just long enough to reset the clock on the stove, we're talking 6-8 hours down.

Depending on your set up, you might be better off buying a small, cheap 1,000 watt gasoline generator and a GFCI extension cord.

The lead acid batteries in backups need replacement every few years regardless of use.

Can't say, you would have to add up how much every thing you want to stay running. Then you need to figure out how long you need them to run, then size up the UPS that can do what you need.

Personally, I think that a UPS cannot run things for very long. I recommend a battery operated air pump or I think the best is to get a battery back up for an MP 10 for short term outages, say for 2 - 20 hours and a generator for long term outages.

Archived