Top Shelf Aquatics

Filtration question for bio cube.

Haelstrom

So. Which would be the best bet for a reef tank. If your not familiar with the 29g Coralife Bio Cube it has a 3 chamber sump in the back. First chamber will be the skimmer. second chamber comes with carbon filter and bio balls. Getting rid of this stuff. InTank makes media basket to fit this area for different configurations. And third chamber will have the heater and return pump. Looking at these different setups. I guess one question would be is if I use Chemi-Pure would I still need a GFO reactor or visa versa? I have 30# of dry base rock that will be seeded with live rock and 30-40# of live sand.

Purigen and Chemi-Pure in the InTank media basket and chaeto in fuge next to it.

Chaeto in the whole 2nd chamber as a fuge and use external reactor to run GFO/Carbon.

Purigen and Chemi-Pure in the InTank media basket and chaeto in fuge next to it with a external GFO/Carbon reactor.

And one more question. Can I simply run Chemi-Pure and Purigen in a reactor and would work well?

I guess one question would be is if I use Chemi-Pure would I still need a GFO reactor or visa versa?
I'm assuming by "Chemi-Pure" you mean Chemi-Pure Elite (which contains some ferric oxide to reduce phosphate). While this can help, you might still need additional help reducing phosphate (which is primarily introduced by feeding). So bio-load and water change schedule also affect phosphate levels. If you are going to use Chemi-Pure and an additional GFO reactor, then I wouldn't use Chemi-Pure Elite (just the Chemi-Pure).

Purigen and Chemi-Pure in the InTank media basket and chaeto in fuge next to it.
I don't get too excited about small fuges. Yeah, they are kind of neat and make a nice refuge for pods, but they do take up space and require a light. Personally, I prefer a skimmer over a fuge (but that's just my opinion).

Chaeto in the whole 2nd chamber as a fuge and use external reactor to run GFO/Carbon.
Yeah, a combination GFO/carbon reactor is nice, but it basically does what the inTank basket does. Since you have a nice all-in-one, running external equipment seems counter intuitive to me.

Purigen and Chemi-Pure in the InTank media basket and chaeto in fuge next to it with a external GFO/Carbon reactor.
Then drill the back for an external skimmer and you'd really have something special. ;) It's redundant to run Purigen, Chemi-Pure, Carbon, and GFO.

And one more question. Can I simply run Chemi-Pure and Purigen in a reactor and would work well?
Sure. :) This is perfectly acceptable. A fuge or skimmer isn't required.

Then later you could always add a fuge.

MR%20FG%20water%20flow.jpg

However, I'd personally add a skimmer instead of the fuge.

tunze%20water%20flow.jpg

Archived