Coral Vue Hydros

Swapping filter from FW to SW tank?

brundlefly

Hello all

I have the 12 gallon fluval edge, and I purchased a cheap in-tank filter to just get it started because I planned on only using rock. Now I've decided that I want to keep a filter in it, but I would like to switch to a HOB. I have a HOB filter in my 14 gallon FW tank and it's been used for the past 7 months. How would I go about making the swap entirely safe? I assume to wash the filter with distilled water and a new filter pad. I'm also trying to wean off the filter pads, what is the best alternative?

Thanks!

Hello all

I have the 12 gallon fluval edge, and I purchased a cheap in-tank filter to just get it started because I planned on only using rock. Now I've decided that I want to keep a filter in it, but I would like to switch to a HOB. I have a HOB filter in my 14 gallon FW tank and it's been used for the past 7 months. How would I go about making the swap entirely safe? I assume to wash the filter with distilled water and a new filter pad. I'm also trying to wean off the filter pads, what is the best alternative?

Thanks!

Should be fine. I would give it a vinegar washing and new filter media and call it good. Is it just some filter floss and carbon? Any thing nasty would be long dead after seven months and the switch from fresh to saltwater would kill any bacteria good or bad.

If you wanted to step it up a level you could get a AC 50 or 70 and mod it in to a filter and fuge, it would be more sutible for a saltwater setup and is easy to do.

Good luck with the build :)

Have you ever used coppersafe (or similar copper based products) in your freshwater tank with that filter?

The copper, from what I understand, will seep into plastics and other materials and then slowly seep out. In a FW tank you may not notice much issue, but with all the inverts in a typical SW you may be better off buying a new filter.

Not to sound stupid but I'm not really sure what the filter floss and carbon is. I use the filter pads you buy from a pet store, but i'm not sure how to do a filter floss/carbon swap, and I've also been considering getting chaeto?

And wow I had no idea! I'm not sure if I used anything that had copper in it, i'll have to look through the labels. Thanks for the heads up!

Not to sound stupid but I'm not really sure what the filter floss and carbon is. I use the filter pads you buy from a pet store, but i'm not sure how to do a filter floss/carbon swap, and I've also been considering getting chaeto?

And wow I had no idea! I'm not sure if I used anything that had copper in it, i'll have to look through the labels. Thanks for the heads up!

Not stupid at all, we all start off not knowing what half of these strange words mean :)

Most filter pads you buy at the store are made of a piece of fliter floss attached to a plastic cage with carbon in it. After you figure this out you will wonder why they charge so much of $.10 of filter floss and $.05 of carbon :o

Most filters are difficult to use for chaeto. That is why you see so many people by the AC filters. They are very basic and easy to modify to house whatever you want them to.

Good call on the copper, if you ever used fish medication of your fresh tank you most likely did add copper. If that is the case just buy a new one. Not worth the risk.

Archived