Cultivated Reef

Frag Lighting

Kfmmartin19

Hey everyone, looking for suggestions for a cheap but effective light fixture to go over a 10 gallon tank for growing out frags. Not looking for anything fancy, just something that will give decent growth and color. Any suggestions? Thanks.

buddythelion

I used one Kessil 150, Ocean Blue spectrum and couldn't be more happy with it over my 14 gallon frag tank. It's all zoas zoas zoas. Keeps heat down to a minimum which is a big thing on a small tank as well.

Remember, a successful frag tank needs to be treated like it's another one of your tanks. I'm sure you can find a used kessil 150 for a reasonable price. Other than that get a quad T5. That would work as well with some good bulbs.

buddythelion

Remember man, a frag tank is a tank for growing corals. Meaning the equipment etc is just as important as you would be getting for your regular tank for corals.

In my opinion its best to have the same type of light over the frag tank as the light over the display tank the frags are being cut from.

gulfsurfer101

I've only had mine over my tank for 48hrs while it cycles in but I'm loving the panorama pro over my ten gallon. I'm thinking two strips would light up a ten gallon no problem. The display area in my 20g is only 7" cause I installed a 31/2" false wall. The one I have over that area is more than enough punch for what I plan to keep.

Archived