ReefCleaners.org

Dorm Reef BC14

dormreefer

Pics or it didn't happen.

Trust me I've been attempting to get a good full tank shot all day but my iphone is not cooperating. For now a hood shot will have to do :P

IMG_0553-Copy_zpsb8ffbe90.jpg

LED LIGHTS coming soon! 445 and 12k/445 panorama pro strips with 2 power supplies should all arrive soon, hardware classifieds rocks!

Hardware classifieds as in the paper?

Hardware classifieds as in the paper?

Sorry for the slow reply, I forget to check all the way down in the AIO section myself (So I asked a wonderful mod to move the thread up here :D ). Hardware Classifieds on here! They are great for good deals and nice sellers!

I had a RKL for about a month before it crapped out on me. I contacted Digital aquatics and it was under warranty, so I should be getting a new one tomorrow. I loved it when it worked, anyways.

FTS FTS FTS!

Left for the weekend and fed well before. Small algae bloom on the glass and some diatoms. Time to look into replacing the CPE, however I'd like to go DIY

After careful reading and deliberation I chose to take a more involved role when it comes to my filter media. I ditched the ChemiPure elite from my own mixture of BRS ROX carbon and Rowaphos. I decided to go with each component after reading several studies and threads concluding they were the best in their division. The custom media will allow for my own ratio of GFO/Carbon, cheaper (making for more frequent) changes, and a higher grade of products.

I am still looking into replacing the Purigen with Chaeto as Purigen may be redundant and is expensive to upkeep.

1st week of ROX+Rowa complete and my Phopshate tested out to 0.04 which is decent and Nirate is still 0. Now I know the logical thing to do may be replace the Rowa but I want to run it another week while testing to see if it really is spent.

With the standard weekly WC I also found a fireworm in the media basket! Unfortunately I managed to already get stung by it on my forearm and it itched like a mother.

Well the last few days have been eventful...

Sunday evening I got home after going home for the weekend. It was the 4 time I had left the tank on cruise control for at least 2 days and figured it would serve for a good test to see if my tank was ready for more finicky inhabitants. After getting home the tank passed the visual test and all parameter testing, very happy!

So, Monday afternoon I gave it to my new addiction of clams. A few weeks ago I saw a Maxima in person for the first time and fell in love with them. I hit up two different stores to try and find what I wanted. Of course, the clam color/pattern I fell in love with was a "Super Ultra." Luckily my LFS hooked me up with a student discount and I made my way home to get the clam acclimated. While in the acclimation cup I notice the snail that it had attached to was actually still alive and decided now would be a great time to escape! I panicked seeing the fibers getting stretched from the clam and did a quick google. I found that it is best to cut these fibers with a clean razor blade. Luckily I wet shave and have tons of spare double sided razor blades to make the swift cut needed to separate the two. I acclimated the clam for several hours including lights off, etc. I placed him on the sand with a small rock underneath him and then realized I never got my snails identified as clam save. As person who likes to know and be sure I quickly made a post on here and got an ID that the snails were Nassarius and not whelks and I felt realized. However than night when I checked the tank all 3 Nassarius who are usually never seen were right near the clam! It was enough of that so I pulled them from the tank.

On to today, my 2 Koralia Nano 240 pumps and power strip liberators arrived. I was planning on using these on a alternating and random setting on my RKL. Unfortunately, while doing research on the topic I found that slots 2/3 on the PC4 are not mechanical and can stick on if you are using low wattage? devices and the liberators would prevent this. I proceeded to unpackage the Knanos and try placing them in the tank and being the clumsy guy I am I knocked over the top rock of my aquascape narrowly missing the new clam and cracking my first and currently only Acro. I then looked at the tank and decided what the heck I don't like this aquascape (the second since set up) and started a new scape. Two hours later I had the scape finished and the pumps in place. All I needed to do was plug my RKL into the computer and set it up to make waves! Well...as soon as I went to unplug the iTemp probe the dang plug portion fell off in my hand. SH*T! This week is the first time Florida is going to get 50 degree weather this year and I wasn't planning on heating my apartment. Now I have to hope my heater doesn't stick on. I called DA and they said to email them, hopefully this issue gets resolved. As if that wasn't enough the wavemaker function on the Knanos drove me nuts, they are the newer models, but still knock like crazy. Some people say they break in but I don't have the patience for that today so dual k nanos 24/7 for now.

I still have to replace all the corals on the liverock and probably putty the rocks together but here is a quick shot after rescaping (please excuse the cloudiness it's normaly clear). Hope everyone agrees this scape is definitely an improvement it's driving me nuts!

FTS- 10/30

photo26_zps96e9b503.jpg

Clam- After acclimation, lights off; camera flash

photo27_zpsc0714e98.jpg

Bonus room/tank shot to show that from my bed view I only see one Knano :lol:

photo25_zps159b2a5a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Clam is doing well! Feeding with Reef Nutrition "Reef Blend" as DT no longer is supplied in my area. Unfortunately despite working well I pulled ROWAphos for the clams sake and replaced with Phosguard. Thanks to Zephs input I now maintain my Nitrates at 1ppm. MP10es was replaced by Ecotech within 4 days, despite still being a little noisy I am optimistic it will "Break in"

MP10 :D

photo41.jpg

BONUS- FISH BACK HOME SHOTS

Chilli and Pepper sleeping in their nem!

photo33.jpg

Bumble perching away

photo40.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived