Cultivated Reef

Plate coral issues

Treeless

For the last week my orange plate coral hasn't been extending its tentacles. It puffs up at night sometimes to epic proportations which i read somewhere means its healthy. in the past it has eaten meaty foods no problem but wont eat anything now. i just tried feeding a piece of krill and it tried to eat it but couldnt. i just tried to feed it some pellets but it seems to have 'pushed' the pellets away and kinda made some white slime. ill take some pictures in a few minutes. Any ideas whats up? :(

Matt

For the last week my orange plate coral hasn't been extending its tentacles. It puffs up at night sometimes to epic proportations which i read somewhere means its healthy. in the past it has eaten meaty foods no problem but wont eat anything now. i just tried feeding a piece of krill and it tried to eat it but couldnt. i just tried to feed it some pellets but it seems to have 'pushed' the pellets away and kinda made some white slime. ill take some pictures in a few minutes. Any ideas whats up? :(

Matt

Im not sure what is going on maybe it isn't happy with the light or flow... Could something be stinging it at night? Could a snail or something be under it agitating it possibly?

Before: All healthy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84953626@N03/.../in/photostream

After: Past couple weeks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84953626@N03/.../in/photostream

Im not sure what is going on maybe it isn't happy with the light or flow... Could something be stinging it at night? Could a snail or something be under it agitating it possibly?

True it might be the flow. ive checked under it and around it alot. i think i might have moved my powerhead so that might be the issue :o As for the lights, it seemed to like them before hand. LEDs all the way.

Yeah.. I would check the flow.

Worst case scenario if it continues to demise don't toss the piece. Fungia are notorious for polyp bailout.. so you may loose the mother coral but get several baby plates in the process.

Yeah.. I would check the flow.

Worst case scenario if it continues to demise don't toss the piece. Fungia are notorious for polyp bailout.. so you may loose the mother coral but get several baby plates in the process.

Yeah im not to worried. :) it came from a beat up tank to begin with so as long as its not bleaching and what not it should be good ehh?

Plate coral factories ftw! :D

If they puff up super big at night It measn they are trying to walk. They puff large so the current can carry them. Try moving it to a different location in the tank where debris would be likely to drop from the water colum.

If they puff up super big at night It measn they are trying to walk. They puff large so the current can carry them. Try moving it to a different location in the tank where debris would be likely to drop from the water colum.

Im gonna see if the new flow i added is good. if not ill move him tomorrow :) But my tank is kinda small. 8 gallon. So i dont have that much space.

+1 - big puffing is the OPPOSITE of happy.

Archived