Coral Vue Hydros

12x12x7 pico build question

absoluteNANOreef

absoluteNANOreef

Last night I siliconed my 12x12x7 rimless tank with RTV103 silicone. My question to glass tank builders is, do I have to run a bead of silicone on the inner edges, or can I remove all inner bead and leave silicone between the panes only. The total water that will be in it is about 3 gals after rock. Will there be enough pressure to burst the seams or will I be fine with a reall clean inner edge?

imag1739.jpg

imag1741.jpg

absoluteNANOreef

Thanks. Thats actually my pupose of this tank. I want to make 2 sample tanks (next will be 16x24x7)and if all goes well i want to start making custom tanks for people. nothing huge but nice nanos and picos. Definately keep me in mind if your interested

here are some fts. still have to clean up tiny bit. sorry for the bad lighting cell pics

imag1744y.jpg

imag1747.jpg

It looks flawless, I was looking to make one like this but I don't have any glass stores nearby :P

The only thing I would change is making it a bit taller to compensate for the sand and rock so maybe 10-11 inches tall instead of 7

absoluteNANOreef
well get me a price on building a 24x24x12. ;) i think ill be the first customer

Let me do some research and planning. I'll get back to you when I come up with figures. I need to shop around to be able to give the best deal.

And one on a 30x30x14

Same as above^

It looks flawless, I was looking to make one like this but I don't have any glass stores nearby :P

The only thing I would change is making it a bit taller to compensate for the sand and rock so maybe 10-11 inches tall instead of 7

Thank you. I really like the shallow tanks, but customs sizes will be available when I decide to go ahead and make them for customers

I am really planning to go ahead and start a small business out of this. There's two here interested, and I have about eight more interested on other sites.

• 2 weeks later...
i wanna see more in this thread

Ditto. That tank looks amazing. I was just thinking about building myself a 12x12x10 cube today and I just saw this thread. Man... Now I really want to replace my Picotope with a cube tank.

• 3 weeks later...
absoluteNANOreef

sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I've been extremely busy.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I am in the process of getting the tank building business going. I've made a deal with my suppliers and am slowly getting the whole thing started.

Website will be up soon!

I'll keep you all posted

sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I've been extremely busy.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I am in the process of getting the tank building business going. I've made a deal with my suppliers and am slowly getting the whole thing started.

Website will be up soon!

I'll keep you all posted

:happydance:

• 2 weeks later...

Is your bottom flush on the table? If so that is not a good idea. Pressure could fracture the glass. You should put atleast a 1/8 gap but I prefer 1/4. Thats just me thou. I'm sure you know that as well.

I'm also starting to build tanks. I just built myself a 25l x 12w x 10h. Shipping on glass tanks is pretty expensive so I'd probably only want to do smaller tank. Not much bigger than 24". Although I plan on starting to make acrylic tanks as well.

reefer-madness111

Building with the sides on the bottom or floating bottom, will likely not be a big issue until you run into larger tanks. Just make sure the table or stand is true, of course you can't account for perfect flatness but a small yoga mat should do the trick to absorb the pressure on the imperfections.

Building with the sides on the bottom or floating bottom, will likely not be a big issue until you run into larger tanks. Just make sure the table or stand is true, of course you can't account for perfect flatness but a small yoga mat should do the trick to absorb the pressure on the imperfections.

Dont most tanks have all 4 sides resting on the bottom pan?

Archived