SaltCritters.com

Starting up my 55 gallon. Just a few questions.

LikeWater

Hey guys, FIRST POST! lol. Sorry I know very similar questions have been answered before but I have a 55 gallon long and wanted to start a reef tank.

I'm planning on doing a 20 gallon sump w/ a AquaC Urchin protein skimmer w/ a Cobalt MJ1200, fuge, then return pump.

The 1st question I had is in regards to overflow setup. I'm going to do a simple hob pvc overflow. Is one overflow sufficient enough? What would the recommended gph for me? Would 1" pvc be ok?

Also, I'm planning on getting an Eheim for the return pump basically because I read Eheim's pumps are quality products. I'm just not sure what pump to get. Would the 1260 be ok? Is the 1262 too much? Could I dial it down with a ball valve or something?

Well, that's it for now. I wanna get my tank started up already so help me out guys, ASAP! Any help at all is much appreciated. Mahalo!

Gino

Google RC headloss calculator. It will answer both of your questions.

For what its worth i have a eshoppes 300 overflow and a 850gph catalina aquarium pump as a return pump on my 55. Check out the link in my signature to see my plumbing on the last page.

Hey guys, FIRST POST!
:welcome:

The 1st question I had is in regards to overflow setup. I'm going to do a simple hob pvc overflow. Is one overflow sufficient enough? What would the recommended gph for me? Would 1" pvc be ok?
I would drill it. Otherwise at least get a relatively reliable HOB overflow. The overflow box that you choose will have a fitting for the appropriately sized plumbing. Either PVC or flexible tubing would be fine to use. The diameter of the drain pipe is one limiting factor on how much water can overflow. You have to pair your return pump to the overflow/drain.

There isn't really a recommended flow rate, but an overflow box with a maximum rating of 600/700gph should work out fine.

Also, I'm planning on getting an Eheim for the return pump basically because I read Eheim's pumps are quality products. I'm just not sure what pump to get. Would the 1260 be ok? Is the 1262 too much? Could I dial it down with a ball valve or something?
Eheim pumps are nice. Depending on the the overflow box (you don't want to overwhelm your overflow and cause a flood), I'd probably get the 1260.

Mahalo!
Mahalo!
Google RC headloss calculator. It will answer both of your questions.

For what its worth i have a eshoppes 300 overflow and a 850gph catalina aquarium pump as a return pump on my 55. Check out the link in my signature to see my plumbing on the last page.

Thanks for the reply! Thanks that calculator is very useful.

Your coral/reef is beautiful man, nice tank!

I would drill it. Otherwise at least get a relatively reliable HOB overflow. The overflow box that you choose will have a fitting for the appropriately sized plumbing. Either PVC or flexible tubing would be fine to use. The diameter of the drain pipe is one limiting factor on how much water can overflow. You have to pair your return pump to the overflow/drain.

There isn't really a recommended flow rate, but an overflow box with a maximum rating of 600/700gph should work out fine.

Eheim pumps are nice. Depending on the the overflow box (you don't want to overwhelm your overflow and cause a flood), I'd probably get the 1260.

Mahalo!

I was thinking of drilling but I'm not sure if the glass is tempered. The bottom of the tank has a sticker that says "tempered glass" so I'm not sure if it's just the bottom or all sides.

Also, I'm short on money right now that's why I'm planning on doing my own simple diy pvc hob overflow, FOR NOW. Like the one uarujoey on youtube made. Maybe when I can scrape up a little extra money for a more reliable overflow, I'll check that one you're talking about.

Thanks for replying! Mahalos! B)

I was thinking of drilling but I'm not sure if the glass is tempered. The bottom of the tank has a sticker that says "tempered glass" so I'm not sure if it's just the bottom or all sides.
No worries. Here are their tech chart and FAQs, which state that it's the bottom that is tempered (not all the panels). If you are still unsure, do some searches for drilled 55; and if you want even more assurance, there is a test that you can do with polarized sunglasses (which you can also search for). I think you'd be better off in the long run if you drilled it. :)

Ah ok, thanks Seabass. Yea I wanna be sure so I'll go try the polarized thing tomorrow morning B)

If I do go with the drilled way, do you have any recommendations on what kind of setup should run with?

If I do go with the drilled way, do you have any recommendations on what kind of setup should run with?

You mentioned keeping the cost down. You could go with something as simple as this:

extdurso.jpg

I used to use this setup but with an elbow and the strainer on an angle; however, I really couldn't tell you if there was any advantage to doing that. I kept the flow well below the maximum recommended capacity of the drain size; I was thinking that this type of setup reduced the amount of flow capacity. Maybe a larger diameter of pipe would be a good idea if you go this way (I just don't know). :unsure:

Or you could get something like a Glass-Holes overflow box. I've also used one of these, and was happy with it. Personally, I'd go this route.

1320190052789553581364.jpeg

On my 55 gallon with 20 gallon sump I use one eshopps pf300 overflow box with a mag 5 return pump. 4' vertical return and they're perfectly matched. Keep the u tube clean and the return line clean and it's rock solid. Only issue i have is that my return pump is very loud as is my overflow box.

Mahalo!

Get a pump that's at least the same GPH as the overflow, a little more is better, then put a ball valve on your return line. The ball valve will allow you to control how much water the pump returns to the tank, and you adjust it so that the overflow isn't overwhelmed and all works in harmony. The ball valve resistance wont harm your pump.

On my 55 gallon with 20 gallon sump I use one eshopps pf300 overflow box with a mag 5 return pump. 4' vertical return and they're perfectly matched. Keep the u tube clean and the return line clean and it's rock solid. Only issue i have is that my return pump is very loud as is my overflow box.

Thanks for the over view of your setup. Kinda gives me a better idea on how mines should be!

Get a pump that's at least the same GPH as the overflow, a little more is better, then put a ball valve on your return line. The ball valve will allow you to control how much water the pump returns to the tank, and you adjust it so that the overflow isn't overwhelmed and all works in harmony. The ball valve resistance wont harm your pump.

Man, I'm gonna valve every damn thing in there! haha. Thanks for the heads up about the valve not negatively affecting my pump. I had the question on the way lol

You mentioned keeping the cost down. You could go with something as simple as this:

extdurso.jpg

I used to use this setup but with an elbow and the strainer on an angle; however, I really couldn't tell you if there was any advantage to doing that. I kept the flow well below the maximum recommended capacity of the drain size; I was thinking that this type of setup reduced the amount of flow capacity. Maybe a larger diameter of pipe would be a good idea if you go this way (I just don't know). :unsure:

Or you could get something like a Glass-Holes overflow box. I've also used one of these, and was happy with it. Personally, I'd go this route.

1320190052789553581364.jpeg

Man, besides their awesome name, Glass-holes got some slick overflows. I like that one your showing me. If I had the dough I would've ordered it by now. Could I just rig a little overflow box like that myself you think??? Looks simple enough, or is there more to it?

Man, besides their awesome name, Glass-holes got some slick overflows. I like that one your showing me. If I had the dough I would've ordered it by now. Could I just rig a little overflow box like that myself you think??? Looks simple enough, or is there more to it?
Some people do make their own boxes. Try and search for DIY overflow box.

However, with the cost of the hole saw, bulkhead, fitting, acrylic, etc, it isn't a whole lot more to buy a nice new one (made with black acrylic and properly cut teeth).

Some people do make their own boxes. Try and search for DIY overflow box.

However, with the cost of the hole saw, bulkhead, fitting, acrylic, etc, it isn't a whole lot more to buy a nice new one (made with black acrylic and properly cut teeth).

I hear ya. I got the power tools and some scrap acrylic laying around, probably just gotta buy the hole saw and bulkhead. I'll just think about it first, maybe try to make one for fun in the mean time haha. I'm new this hobby going to be expensive, just didn't know exactly how expensive! Not complaining though =)

Archived