Hey guys and gals,

Convince my friend to buy:

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/08/06/reef-breeders-value/

instead of:

http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland...il.aspx?id=4632

Tank is 36x18x21.

It's going to be an anenome tank.

The most hes willing to spend is $200.

The Marineland light nearly single-handedly caused hobbyists the world over dismiss LEDs as viable replacements for halides and T5s. They are that awful when it comes to PAR values.

A 36" tank is difficult to light with one unit, unless you are ok with the outsides not supporting anemones (maybe some of the lower-light ones like rock flower).

doppelganger

If they want to buy the marineland fixture... then they don't have the knowledge to have an anemone tank.

just saying...

I would not buy either one of them

What would you buy?

If they want to buy the marineland fixture... then they don't have the knowledge to have an anemone tank.

just saying...

I agree, thats why I'm attempting to help :)

The Marineland light nearly single-handedly caused hobbyists the world over dismiss LEDs as viable replacements for halides and T5s. They are that awful when it comes to PAR values.

A 36" tank is difficult to light with one unit, unless you are ok with the outsides not supporting anemones (maybe some of the lower-light ones like rock flower).

This was more or less the idea with that fixture I linked, and hes aware of that.

If your friend is only willing to spend $200 up front, ready-made LED is probably not the right choice. You can get a single halide fixture for about that much or more, though sometimes much less, depending upon any concurrent sales, used equipment, etc. Of course, you'll get the heat, electricity, and replacement costs that go with it, but it won't cost quite as much at once (plus you won't have complete coverage). This would be enough for just about anything. There are also some cheap T5 fixtures out there for around $200, sometimes less (you'd probably want to replace the included lamps). It all just depends upon what you chance upon.

If the electricity company is not your complete enemy, I'd stick with halides in this application.

The biggest problem I see with this is the bulb options, same goes with T5. If you want decent color you gotta drop the $$ on a nice bulb(s) and in this case thats ~50% of the total hes willing to spend.

TeflonTomDosh

both lights are crap and 200 is too much for that light. I can get them in Tampa for 147. I have TEK Elite T5 on a 36" tank tho..

A real friend would convince him to buy quality and fork over $$ for an AI Sol. :D I'm selling for $315 shipped which is a damn good price on a lightly used unit.

jedimasterben
both lights are crap and 200 is too much for that light. I can get them in Tampa for 147. I have TEK Elite T5 on a 36" tank tho..

And you pay out the ass for it in bulbs alone.

TeflonTomDosh
And you pay out the ass for it in bulbs alone.

100 or so bucks once a year. Def give my corals more "pop" than the ecoxotics I had prior, the aquastyles I have now on my bc 29 and those chinese fixtures.

jedimasterben
100 or so bucks once a year. Def give my corals more "pop" than the ecoxotics I had prior, the aquastyles I have now on my bc 29 and those chinese fixtures.

Lemme guess, the common denominator is high-kelvin white LEDs?

TeflonTomDosh
Lemme guess, the common denominator is high-kelvin white LEDs?

man i dont know, i just think my t5s look better than any LEDs I've seen yet. lol

jedimasterben
man i dont know, i just think my t5s look better than any LEDs I've seen yet. lol

If you don't know, then yes, all are using high-kelvin white LEDs, the Aquastyle kit defaults to a 1:1 ratio of 10,000K white and royal blue, and the 10K white look god-awful in comparison to anything else, color-wise.

1 I wouldn't recommend someone who can't even make this decision about lights to own an anemone tank.

2 Use the classifieds section. Post a WTB for a halide light or even a DIY LED fixture and someone will probably pull through. (pretty sure i saw some decent diy lights for sale there just a day ago.)

Both those lights are pretty crappy

He going to need more $$$. Save a little longer. Do some more research about anemones in the mean time.

Jedi seems to be pretty spot on with all his advice. You can believe what he has to say.

jedimasterben
Okay new rule: can't be second hand. And tbh he's pretty set on led.

If that's the case, if he can custom order one of those "generic" units, make sure they use neutral white (less than 5000k) as a bare minimum, and if they have them available, I'd get additional colors put in, as well: cool blue (between 460-480nm), deep red (660-670nm), cyan/turquoise (490-530nm), and violet (400-430nm). Not only will it allow better growth, but also much better coloration, those generic units that come with only high-k white (usually 10-14,000K) and blue can mute colors of corals.

He going to need more $$$. Save a little longer. Do some more research about anemones in the mean time.

Jedi seems to be pretty spot on with all his advice. You can believe what he has to say.

The budget is definitely a bit low for a tank that size, he will definitely need to spend more, at least $300. There are actually some higher-quality Chinese units that they allow you to customize, and they actually put out very nice light - side-by-side better than a Radion. Didn't have the fancy controller, but it was good for an on-off light.

Archived