Top Shelf Aquatics

20 Long odyssey (updated pics 12/16/14)

Odyssey350kc

Odyssey350kc

So I been battling a bit of a hair algae lately. I actually started another thread discussing my problem located here : http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317398-not-so-simple-phosphate-issues-need-help/

But I think I may have found part of the problem, my sixline wrasse has gone missing, I searched the whole room and he didn't jump out, so he must have died and gotten taken care of by my cleanup crew, or be somewhere i cant find him in the liverock.

As if loosing my wrasse for no reason I can come up with wasn't enough both of my clownfish have Brooklynella aka Clownfish disease. I got a 10 gallon tank that i am setting up tomorrow and will begin treating with formalin which seems to be the only thing that cures it.

If anyone has any experience with Brooklynella let me know any advice you have for treating, Thanks.

Odyssey350kc

After much research last night on brooklynella, ick, and slime. I decided to start a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I set the specific gravity to 1.010 which is supposed to kill of any free floating parasites.

I also started treating all of my fish with Formalin, which requires I give the fish a 30 - 60 min bath of 1 gallon mixed with 2 teaspoons of formalin. I have to do this for 5 days in a row to kill off all of the parasites on my fish. I was also bummed to learn that I must treat all of my fish as they can all carry the disease

Once all of the parasites are off of the fish I still need to keep them in quarantine together for 6-8 weeks to allow any parasite left floating in my display tank to die off, since without a fish host they will run through their life cycle and be unable to reproduce without a fish as a host.

It is sad to look at my tank without any fish, they bring so much life to the tank.

I still can't figure out how the fish got the disease since supposedly only wild caught fish get this disease and I was told my clowns were tank raised, and they had been In my tank for several months with no symptoms. The only conclusions I can make is that perhaps my sixline that passed away was carrying the disease, it would explain his sudden death, but not the fact that most fish contracting brooklynella only survive a few days if not treated.

Heres some pics: Below - My 2 clowns if you look just below the dorsal fin on the larger one you can see some of the white spots, this is a pic of the fish after the treatment and I'd say about 50% of them fell of with just 1 treatment.

You can also see the tatered fins on the smaller clown.

20130107_200801_zps2ecfeb1d.jpg

Quarantine Tank

20130107_193420_zps9ec3219f.jpg

awaiting treatment

20130107_195910_zpse8154b98.jpg

Does the LFS where you got the fish use a combined water system? When I purchased my tank raised clown I got it from a fish store that uses separate tanks/sumps for each group of fish so the tank raised fish never share water with wild caught fish.

Best of luck with your fish, I hope everything goes better for you!

Odyssey350kc

Does the LFS where you got the fish use a combined water system? When I purchased my tank raised clown I got it from a fish store that uses separate tanks/sumps for each group of fish so the tank raised fish never share water with wild caught fish.

Thats a great point actually yes they do. I actually bought the clowns from one store (my sisters) and I bought the sixline and 2 hifin gobies from another pet store, but they both use filter systems that have 20+ tanks each.

Odyssey350kc

sorry man, hope the best for your clowns

Thanks appreciate it.

Good news though, the treatment went great. I'm on day 2 now and all of the white spots have completely disappeared from both fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been on the site for a while wanted to do an update on my tank. All the fish are still in their quarantine tank, and I am still battling with hair algae problems, I am very good about doing a 10 - 15% water change every week. I recently lost 3 of my acro frags only 1 left half alive.

I'm not feeding the tank really anything ( maybe 1 mysis shrimp every couple of days to mt pistol shrimp and some phytoplankton spot fed to my clam once a week) so I don't understand how i can still have algae problems.

I had been battling the hair algae with phosphate removers, both phosphate removing filter pads and some stuff called po4 x 4 or something like that, its supposed to be 4 times stronger than traditional phosphate removers.

I think this could be the cause of my acro frags dying. I read that rapidly stripping the phosphates can be detrimental to them.

I noticed that my ph was much higher than normal a couple of days after adding the po4 remover, so i went and tested my alkalinity which turned out to be way too low, so I started a baking soda water drip to try and raise the alkalinity.

It seemed to help as the ph went back down a bit. I did not have time to test the alkalinity either.

I have had so much going on lately. It has been tough to keep up with the needs of my tank, between going away on business, trying to find a house, and working on all other projects I find that i simply don't have the time to appreciate my tank.

When I originally set up I had thought by now I would have sorted out any problems and been able to have a relatively low maintenance tank, guess I was wrong, It seems as if as soon as I fix one problem the next one just pops right up.

Besides the problems with the hair algae and the acro's dying everything else in the tank seems to be doing very well. Even my clam is doing well it is always open during the day, and no gaping in the mouth.

I have also ordered gfo, carbon, and some tunze Reef Excel Lab Marine Salt from bulk reef supply. I have a vertex aquaristick reactor that i was planning on running the carbon mixed with gfo in, it seems like most successful tanks are running gfo.

Just remember that most things will survive slow changes and neglect better than you messing with things trying to fix issues.

If you're short on time I would stop dosing everything and go with rapid water changes a little more often than normal to keep the tank stable. I learned this the hard way.

• Like 1

I would do more water changes but I am afraid I am adding phosphates via my water. I just got in my new salt so i will test the fresh mix for phosphates hopefully it won't have any.

I also got an ac70 for free, so i'm just gonna run the gfo and carbon in that.

Test your RO/DI water for phosphate, forget the salt mix. Whatever you are adding via your salt is small and insignificant, regardless of what you're reading or what someone tells you. This is one of those things that has been covered over and over on various forums at various times, typically as a reason or justification for switching to some other brand of salt.

If you salt adds 1 unit of phosphate your food adds 10000 .. just don't worry about it, but make sure your freshwater source is pure, 0 phosphates, 0 TDS.

I tried testing my rodi water with my red sea phosphate test kit, but it doesn't work it just stays clear. even the rating of 0 phosphates is supposed to have a yellow tinge to it. I don't think that the kit is designed for freshwater use.

And I'm definitely not adding phosphates through feeding since I haven't put any food to speak of in the tank for over 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an ac70 this week and set it up with filter floss, purigen, and a mixed bag of carbon and gfo.

Let me just say I am amazed! Its like a totally different tank, every coral has opened more, and gotten more colorful.

I plan on ordering a surface skimmer for the ac70 to take the crap off the surface of the water, but i never imagined what a difference a couple chemicals could make in the tank.

I will post pics later this week.

• 5 months later...
Odyssey350kc

I haven't posted in quite a long time, But I have had many changes and new additions to my tank.

First off is a new current full tank shot.

20130525_182305_zps3a261486.jpg

Dendro seems to get bigger everyday

20130525_181941_zps87a4986e.jpg

New pink Birdsnest coral

20130525_181948_zps6c641c22.jpg

Red Montipora, Superman Montipora and Favia

20130525_181849_zpsfdcacbe2.jpg

Trumpet coral growing well

20130525_181837_zpsa2779015.jpg

What I have noticed over the past couple of months is how fast my montipora corals all grow. The red one has probably quadrupled in size over the past 4 months or so. The problem is that other things show almost no signs of growth, both my favia and acropora have not grown at all that i can tell in the past 6 months. They look great and seem to be doing well, but they just won't grow.

I will try to get some more pics up this weekend after I get my new corals I just ordered from the marine depot live 50% off sale. :D

Odyssey350kc
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well this tank will soon be making its transfer to its new home, Slightly larger and better in many ways so I thought I would take a few pics to rimind me of what It looked like before the transfer and after nearly 2.5 years of running.

Happy Clam

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20141216_120725_zpsa87518f6.jpg.html'>20141216_120725_zpsa87518f6.jpg

Clowns hosting frogspawn

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20141216_120747_zps27508cad.jpg.html'>20141216_120747_zps27508cad.jpg

Top Down

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20141216_120740_zps45d444fb.jpg.html'>20141216_120740_zps45d444fb.jpg

Full Tank shot - dirty glass

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20141216_120804_zpsaa8e2329.jpg.html'>20141216_120804_zpsaa8e2329.jpg

Archived