ReefCleaners.org

Overflow design

Arkayology

Hey everyone. I'm planning a new build (thread to come) but I wanted to get some feedback on how I want to plumb my new tank. I want to drill the back of the new tank with two 1'' holes for the drain and use the herbie method placing two 90 degree elbows in the overflow- one facing up and one full siphon facing down. After I had the bottom of my 60 cube drilled and had a standpipe, I realized I really didn't like having to go under the tank if I wanted to mess with the plumbing. I also think it would make it less work if/when I want to move the tank. I envision it looking something like this:

SAM_0604.jpg

Does anyone have experience with type of overflow? I want to know how well it works, if it is truly silent, how easy it is to get it to siphon and maintain once I have water in the tank. I will be using a mag 7 as a return with 3/4'' in plumbing and 3/4'' locline on either a 40b or a custom 37g. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rabidgerbil38

It works great, I had a design just like this without the box on my Mr Aqua 25. It is silent as long as you adjust it right (a small trickle going down the backup pipe).

Advice I would have is to make sure your siphon pipe is low enough under the water where it wont create a vortex and suck in air. Even with my elbow i had trouble with this and had to put on a long strainer to keep it from happening. Also though a no brainier do not put either of the pipes under the waterline in your sump unless you use a tee and elbow to allow it to remove back pressure from air in the pipes. (I had that last bright idea and got a little flood from it)

Looks good SoCal...

I havent talked to you in almost 2 years now. Jesus its been a long time! You prolly dont even remember me. We used to chat on here all the time while I was at work lol :D

Its fairly silent,., I made mine into a vertical configuration so I could use a corner overflow box., The bottom siphon being so low in the water works great., I drain below my water line into the sump and have never any problem., I shut my system off all the time for feeding or maintenance and never have trouble regaining the siphon., Just gurgles for a minute or so and smooths right out.

The only real noise this system makes is the trickle of the water going through the teeth on the box.,. A square piece of acrylic to use as a lid muffles it enough., My skimmer makes more noise than this overflow system any day., More than exceeded my expectations as far as noise and relative ease to set up.

2012-04-15223459.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am weighing my options still, but I will have a build thread when I figure it all out.

Looks good SoCal...

I havent talked to you in almost 2 years now. Jesus its been a long time! You prolly dont even remember me. We used to chat on here all the time while I was at work lol :D

What was your screen name? I'm not sure I remember lol. Help me out.

Archived