SaltCritters.com

Small GHA patch

slickwill613

slickwill613

I have a small patch of GHA on one of my rocks that has sprouted over the past four days (I know it was 4 days because before I left for work it wasn't there and upon returning home it was.) The rock is easy to pull, could I just pull it scrub it and rinse with fresh water without doing any harm? Any other suggestions?

I have a small patch of GHA on one of my rocks that has sprouted over the past four days (I know it was 4 days because before I left for work it wasn't there and upon returning home it was.) The rock is easy to pull, could I just pull it scrub it and rinse with fresh water without doing any harm? Any other suggestions?

I would. GHA is a pain in the rear when It takes hold in your system. You could use a little peroxide mixed with tank water (50/50) and scrub the gha off. Make sure to rinse the rock in tank water before returning it to your display as it will no have dead algae.

Also you may want to step it up for a short period on your nutrient export (WC's, GFO etc) because the fact that you have GHA in your tank indicates some sort of dissolved organics (nitrate, phosphate etc.)

Good luck :)

slickwill613

Thanks. Nitrates not registering on my test so phosphates I guess, don't have a test for those handy. I'll use the peroxide scrub as you suggested.

Get a good phosphate test kit, it's important. Treating the symptom will only get you so far; other issues will eventually pop up.

slickwill613
Get a good phosphate test kit, it's important. Treating the symptom will only get you so far; other issues will eventually pop up.

Other than algae growth, what else could phophates cause? And what causes phosphates to rise?

Yeah, all sorts of macro and micro algae, plus things like Cyanobacteria and poor coral health/growth/coloration. Food is your primary source of phosphate. Here is an article which discusses various foods as sources of phosphate.

Archived