inTank Media Baskets

Planted tank guy needs powerhead advice.

larcat

Hi!

I'm a planted tank nerd. You guys are the power head experts though, so figured I would ask here.

Just set up a 12 gallon long: 8.5"x9"x36". Will be stocking with high flow fish, and will need lots of surface agitation to maintain high oxygenation.

Need a fairly narrow flow from a power head, and I want it to ripple the surface for the length of the tank. Have a fairly light substrate, so I don't want to disturb it.

Pondering:

Maxi-Jet 900, like the venturi and think it is pretty narrow. Good amount of flow for the tank.

Tunze 6015 -- Great reviews. Flow might be too broad, might be too much GPH.

Koralia 425 -- Almost certain the flow will be too broad.

Some advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

I would look at fountain pumps. They have several sizes are small and have very narrow/ directional flow.

Not a bad idea, but from cursory reading, I'm guessing they give lots of heat off? The species I will be going with don't need exceptionally low temps, but don't want to go into the 80s. Ambient takes my tank up to 78 in summer, and during these heat spikes slightly higher. Also doesn't look like you can direct the flow well on them.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Yeah i don't know about the heat. Post what powerhead you go with, I'm curious myself.

So far I think the maxi-jet is probably the best idea. The venturi is nice also, since gobies and other high-flow fish love oxygen. Doubly important in my setup since I'm injecting Co2. So bulky though :(

I can't find a thread that really finalizes if the Tunze would be too much/wide flow. I had a Koralia in another tank, and from what I remember, it wouldn't be the best solution. 460 gph is probably more flow than I want in this tank, and probably would blow my substrate around.

If Sicce made a 250 GPH, that would be perfect, but their lowest is 800 gph :(

Really pretty confused!

The very last planted tank I had was equipped with a Cobalt Aquatics powerhead, I liked the flat diverter. it wasn't the prettiest thing, but I needed flow all the way down a loooooong tank. That thing was a beast.

Aqueon circulation pumps. Or if you wanna spend big get an mp10

I actually have an old Aqueon 500 that broke off at the stem I just tested. Not nearly enough flow to go end to end.

MP10 would be perfect, but not willing to spend out for it.

Fact that the Aqueon 500 isn't nearly enough help at all?

Thanks to everyone for tolerating a freshwater guy! Appreciated!

If Sicce made a 250 GPH, that would be perfect, but their lowest is 800 gph :(

Sicce does make pumps in your size, they are the Syncra models. The syncra 1.0 pump is rated at 250 gph and the next model is the syncra 1.5 rated at 357 gph.

Here's a link:

http://sicceus.com/aquarium.html

Well, tried a Koralia 750 in there today. Amount of flow is ok, I guess. WAY too diffuse though, with substrate being billowed around.

Maxi-Jet looking more and more sensible.

Are the Cobalts worth the premium?

Yeah i don't know about the heat. Post what powerhead you go with, I'm curious myself.

Maxi-Jet 900 ftw.

Isn't stirring my substrate up at all, entire water surface is rippled, perfect for this tank :)

Archived