Pod Your Reef

Smallest Vol. Tank For First Timer?

Kris1991

Hi Guys,

I'm totally new to this forum. I'm a planted tank enthusiast, and now that I've kept successful high tech planted aquariums... I want to take the jump into reefs.

I've been looking at people on here with JBJ Picotopes and I really like them, the problem is I live in Ireland so haven't got a great amount of choice around.

So. I was just wondering what people think is the smallest volume for a beginner should be.

I have no problem with maintenance or lack of time, I've got a lot of time some days to do just nothing!

I can sit and stare at my other tanks for hours :lol:

I have an Aquaclear 50 and a small Aquael (Fixed but to fit into the HOB) at the moment so I'm looking at small tanks so that I can use this as a little HOB refugium with some chaeto and maybe a little bit of purigen.

I also have a 24W Boyu Luminaire, the one from eBay with the single actinic and double white fluorescents.

All help appreciated!

Rollermonkey
The largest you can manage

+1

Larger volumes of water are easier to maintain the stability of. The catch is the expense and the time requirements.

I'd suggest looking at what sorts of fish and/or corals you want, research them, and work back to the tank size you'll need.

If you're hankering for a tang, but go out and buy a 10 gallon tank, you just defeated your purpose. If you just HAVE to have sexy shrimp, but you just bought a 40 gallon breeder... Well, they'll live just fine, but you'll never see them.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well I was looking at this tank, http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/store/pro...c-aquarium-13L/ and thinking that my HOB and maybe a tiny powerhead would be enough for it circulation wise.

A few pieces of live rock in the middle, maybe a 3rd of the aquarium volume full of LR?

And my lighting I thought would be sufficient to keep daisy polyps and zooas?

Don't know if I'd bother with fish. Inverts at max. Prob just a small CUC.

Any thoughts?

I would go a lot bigger but I don't have the money :(

thadscottmoore
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well I was looking at this tank, http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/store/pro...c-aquarium-13L/ and thinking that my HOB and maybe a tiny powerhead would be enough for it circulation wise.

A few pieces of live rock in the middle, maybe a 3rd of the aquarium volume full of LR?

And my lighting I thought would be sufficient to keep daisy polyps and zooas?

Don't know if I'd bother with fish. Inverts at max. Prob just a small CUC.

Any thoughts?

I would go a lot bigger but I don't have the money :(

uhm, i have nearly as much $$$ in my 3 gallon picotope as i do my 34G+17 gallon sumped Red Sea Max.

disadvantage of small- temperature swings if you dont have it prepared- and by prepared, I mean utilizing a controller to keep a specific temperature range. I use a RKE with temperature probe and a probe chiller and a heater to maintain a constant temp within limits.

another aspect is evaporation maintenance- you will want to get an ATO of some sort to deal with that. I have a 2L bottle to supply my ATO = and I have to refill it about every 10 days.

I agree with the rest- more volume the easier the keep. Although, more volume takes much more coral to fill that voided area which equals more $$$. 15-29 gallon is ideal in my opinion. shop used systems- might help save some money. of course there is sponsors here that deal with the pico size tanks that sell turn key setups that include the things I have discussed. bottom line- dont jump until you research and know what you are getting ready to get into.

Islandoftiki
uhm, i have nearly as much $$$ in my 3 gallon picotope as i do my 34G+17 gallon sumped Red Sea Max.

disadvantage of small- temperature swings if you dont have it prepared- and by prepared, I mean utilizing a controller to keep a specific temperature range. I use a RKE with temperature probe and a probe chiller and a heater to maintain a constant temp within limits.

another aspect is evaporation maintenance- you will want to get an ATO of some sort to deal with that. I have a 2L bottle to supply my ATO = and I have to refill it about every 10 days.

I agree with the rest- more volume the easier the keep. Although, more volume takes much more coral to fill that voided area which equals more $$$. 15-29 gallon is ideal in my opinion. shop used systems- might help save some money. of course there is sponsors here that deal with the pico size tanks that sell turn key setups that include the things I have discussed. bottom line- dont jump until you research and know what you are getting ready to get into.

+1. This is excellent advice.

Tiny tanks are awesome, but temperature and water level control get pretty expensive.

something must be wrong. my pico i don't bother with a heater, and top off is every other day. i don't use anything fancy. i set up a pico because i had incredibly little money. i thought it would be cheaper to stock it, and i was right. remember, this is just IME. every situation is different.

thadscottmoore
something must be wrong. my pico i don't bother with a heater, and top off is every other day. i don't use anything fancy. i set up a pico because i had incredibly little money. i thought it would be cheaper to stock it, and i was right. remember, this is just IME. every situation is different.

Granted ever situation is different- I live in Southeast Texas and the Summers can be brutal! Temperatures in my home can reach 80 with the A/C full on in the middle of the day- and at night- with A/C Temperatures can drop to mid 60s when the sun is not baking the house. Those temperature changes can wreak havoc on a pico! Plus when it comes to my tanks- I tend to be lazy as my work weeks are all out busy and I rarely have time to handle my tanks- ATO is essential element when you dont have time to top off every afternoon. hell, I even incorporated an auto-water change on my pico! Changes a cup a day! just have to make saltwater makeup water for system once a week. :D

+1

Larger volumes of water are easier to maintain the stability of. The catch is the expense and the time requirements.

I'd suggest looking at what sorts of fish and/or corals you want, research them, and work back to the tank size you'll need.

If you're hankering for a tang, but go out and buy a 10 gallon tank, you just defeated your purpose. If you just HAVE to have sexy shrimp, but you just bought a 40 gallon breeder... Well, they'll live just fine, but you'll never see them.

Without even opening this topic, I was thinking the exact thing! lol.

Off the cuff I'd say anything from 8-20 gallons depending on what you'd like to stock. A plain old el cheapo rectangular tank on sale at a big box pet store can let you do a suprising amount if stuff with the right equipment (which can offset the setup cost of the inevitable upgrade tank) without breaking the bank up front.

Ironically it's almost a better idea to have some experience with running a reef tank before you shell out for something boutique (premium brand, custom measurements, starfire glass etc). You'll have a much better idea about what matters to you.

randythefishdude
Off the cuff I'd say anything from 8-20 gallons depending on what you'd like to stock. A plain old el cheapo rectangular tank on sale at a big box pet store can let you do a suprising amount if stuff with the right equipment (which can offset the setup cost of the inevitable upgrade tank) without breaking the bank up front.

Ironically it's almost a better idea to have some experience with running a reef tank before you shell out for something boutique (premium brand, custom measurements, starfire glass etc). You'll have a much better idea about what matters to you.

try looking up the bio cube 8g or the biocube 14g if you want smaller the 8g is a nice tank

That tank now has

no sand

almost no rock

some sponges

a sexy shrimp

a cheap par bulb

a cheap filter

and a elegance coral

B)

Elegance coral, very nice?!

How often do you change water and how much %?

My first tank was a 3 gallon I knew nothing when I got it but read a lot here its doing good if u have alot of time and won't get tired of it then why not a picotope ? I been reading on how to make a glass tank yourself it seems pretty easy and straight forward also very low budget just read alot and know what u want ur results to be at the end before u spend a peny

Thanks guys, I'll have unlimited amounts of time.

I'll be studying Marine Biology and they have loads of huge tanks in the Uni's aquarium.

So I'll be getting very cheap WC's :D

Going to go with a 30L I think :D

Archived