inTank Media Baskets

Is the CPR BakPack Loud?

Chromis

Is the CPR BakPack Loud?

Didn't I hear something about switching the stock RIO out with a MaxiJet or something???

Is it still fairly loud after that?

If I do switch out is the RIO still loud as a normal tank circulation powerhead or will it go to waste?

Is the Remora better?

I have a Bak-Pak, and since it is the only skimmer I've ever had I don't know how loud it is in comparison to others on the market. But I do know that the noise it makes has nothing to do with the Rio ph, as I have another Rio in the tank and it runs silently.

I've had the CPR Bakpak for about a month, and I've found it to be very quiet. The tank is in my living room, and has caused no complaints from my girlfriend, which is the measure I use for noise level. It is also very effecient, and I have heard nothing bad about it. I would recommend it.

I don't currently use a bubble trap, but I am considering getting one. It comes with a little piece of spomge for the out take, which reduces the bubbles to a degree but not entirely. Its not necessary to buy the bubble trap, its more a matter of how anal you are. I'm pretty picky, so I think I might pick one up.

Also, I would suggest removing the Bio bale from the CPR, although great in a saltwater, in a reef you want your biological filtration to happen in the LR and LS not in your filter, it will help keep nitrates low.

My CPR is quite quiet. As for the bubbles, I was gonna get the trap but suddenly mine stopped producing bubbles. Intermittantly I'll get micro bubbles again but that tells me it's time to clean the rio. Go for it!

I had the same debate you did. I went through a lot of returns. I bought the Red Sea Prizm with many people said they stop working well after 30-60 days. Then cheap berlin, which just kept falling apart in my tank and was very ugly. So, I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of reviews. Out of the 100's reviews I looked at it all came down to the bak pak or the Aqua C Remora. I went with the bak pak because it was cheaper and requires less maint. Well either way they both had great reviews and you can't go wrong with either of them. So far the bak pak is working very very well. The only thing is the rio pump is loud. Well one of mine is. I would go with the maxi jet pump upgrade. Looks and runs more heavy duty to me.

i have a bakpac also, and i have really no problem or complaints about it except for one thing..its collection cup is wayyyy too small!!! I just use the Rio as a water intake devise, i modified it with an airlinr running thru with a wood airstone for better sized bubbles for the skimming part, it will reduce the amount of microbubbles, i don't use a bubble trap but again, just don't place any hard corals directly infront of the out let so that it won't catch or trape the bubbles, then you are fine..

I am using the MJ1200 upgrade on my CPR BakPak 2R. It is very quiet and noticed no differnce between it and the stock Rio. The Rio 600 it comes with works great as a stand alone PH. I suggest using the bubble trap if you are running the skimmer in your main tank. I use it in my sump/refugium and I get minimal bubbles which do not get returned to the main tank. I'm not complaining but I can see it being a nuisance if these bubbles were in the main tank.

Archived