Top Shelf Aquatics

HELP! Sunny Ds are dying!

godfathernikki

godfathernikki

I originally had these under an aquastyleonline 24led fixture when I first got them. They were shipped and I had one polyp that looked 'sick' like the others below that eventually died and melted off, then the frag was fine for several months.

About a month ago, I moved the frag into my new tank, which also has leds but it is a custom build. It was fine for a few weeks, then a few days ago, I noticed two of the polyps weren't closing at night and looked like they had a problem. Since this happened before and it fixed itself, I wasn't worried at first. Next day all but the large center polyp started doing the same thing.

Today, things look even worse, the one so-far unafflicted polyp is only half open, and you can see in the pictures that some of the shrunken polyps almost look like they were (my best description) sanded in a couple areas, as well as the frills on the skirt dissapearing.

It is kind of hard to see in the pics, the just below the polyp head, the stem appears to almost be restricted, like there is a rubberband around it or something.

I can't find any pests, but then again I've never delt with any coral pests other than flatworms so I may not be the best person to determine if there are or not.

So far symptoms are:

Shrinking heads

Bulging/puffy mouth

stays open at night all night

These pics are from yesterday:

sick1.jpg

sick2.jpg

And these are today:

sick3.jpg

sick4.jpg

I have no idea what the problem is, any help?

Not sure my friend, But I noticed you labled being open all day and all night a problem. I dont think that part is an issue, and if it is I would like to know. Many of my corals stay open all day and night. So, if this is an issue then Ive had one for a while now. So, please shed some light on this anyone that has knowledge of it being or not being a problem!

godfathernikki
Not sure my friend, But I noticed you labled being open all day and all night a problem. I dont think that part is an issue, and if it is I would like to know. Many of my corals stay open all day and night. So, if this is an issue then Ive had one for a while now. So, please shed some light on this anyone that has knowledge of it being or not being a problem!

I think it is a byproduct of whatever is happening to them, not the cause. The larger one in the center still opens and closes with the lights like normal. The sickly polyps don't even half close, they stay open and deformed the way you see them in the pics.

So, you are saying being open all the time isnt a problem, but you beleive yours is staying open DUE TO whatever is wrong with them? Like a side effect?

godfathernikki
So, you are saying being open all the time isnt a problem, but you beleive yours is staying open DUE TO whatever is wrong with them? Like a side effect?

Basically yes.

It's not uncommon for various zoas/softies to stay open at night. This particular paly in my tank however does normally close at night. I thought the change in behaviour would be worth taking note of. They are actually just non-reactive in general. Light nor touch will make them close back up :/

No man, thats wierd. And not closing when you touch them!!! Very odd indeed sir. I hope someone with some knowledge on this can help you, because I am clueless. :o

Not closing at night is not a problem. Assuming your water parameters are fine and consistent, I would suspect the lighting. Before dipping, I would try moving them. Could be too much light.

godfathernikki
Have you tried a coral RX dip?

Nope, I was going to try an iodine dip, but just ran out and all I have left is iodide. I'll probably be making a trip to the lfs tomorrow though.

Not closing at night is not a problem. Assuming your water parameters are fine and consistent, I would suspect the lighting. Before dipping, I would try moving them. Could be too much light.

Lighting is what I was thinking but I've got my leds turned down pretty low and nothing else seems to be having issues.

I asked albertthiel and he basically said it could be anything, but to try moving them to a different location. SO I guess I'll try moving them somewhere shady for now, then dip them when I'm able to.

godfathernikki
pox

Thanks for the suggestion, but unlikely. The specs you can see on them in the pics were actually settling dust from a w/c; they have since cleaned off. I haven't seen any spots even close to the images I've referenced for pox.

However I still plan on trying a dip just to be on the safe side. In the meantime, I moved them into an area of less light.

• 4 weeks later...
godfathernikki

It's been a couple weeks, I believe a followup is in order. All but one of the polyps ended up melting off its top- I moved them to the sand bed and iodine dipped twice in 3 days. Weird part was after the top disc/skirts clearly disintegrated, the polyps started generating new ones after a few days! I have 2 that have regrown their skirts and regained color and are basically miniature versions of their previous selves, and 2 more that are just starting to show signs of a new mouth and skirt. I still have no idea what happened but it looks like they will recover just fine.

Oh and fwiw, I later found similiar instances of this referred to as 'umbrella syndrome.' It was described as polyps taking an umbrella shape (mouth higher than skirt) and being unresponsive to light and touch- sounds veeery familiar...

My zoas did this and all I did was iodine dip for 10 min and waited mine were cheapo zoas so it was not a big deal but sometimes it just happends you gotta wait it out

No one has seen anything like this before?

I have seen this plenty of times. It has always been in a tank with LED lighting. LED lighting shrinks the face of the zoa or paly and gives them the umbrella shape.

pox

Nope

Shade the zoas for a few weeks and watch what happens.

It's been a couple weeks, I believe a followup is in order. All but one of the polyps ended up melting off its top- I moved them to the sand bed and iodine dipped twice in 3 days. Weird part was after the top disc/skirts clearly disintegrated, the polyps started generating new ones after a few days! I have 2 that have regrown their skirts and regained color and are basically miniature versions of their previous selves, and 2 more that are just starting to show signs of a new mouth and skirt. I still have no idea what happened but it looks like they will recover just fine.

Oh and fwiw, I later found similiar instances of this referred to as 'umbrella syndrome.' It was described as polyps taking an umbrella shape (mouth higher than skirt) and being unresponsive to light and touch- sounds veeery familiar...

Same exact thing happened to my Aussie Zo's. All melted away except for the strongest one. Now small polyps are growing around the big one. W-

I would say either way do a Coral RX dip but the zoas look like mine once did when I had some zoanthid eating nudibranches. Dip them and kill everything off, and they should make a speedy recovery.

Archived