Coral Vue Hydros

What to do with a 4 gallon tank?

TSwift

I have an Aqueon Evolve 4 gallon (acrylic) that I am trying to sell on craigslist, but no one seems interested. It has a carbon filter, powerhead, heater, and stock lighting with 3 of the white LED's burned out. It was a saltwater coral reef tank for about 8 months, but most coral in it eventually died, so I don't think the lighting is very good in it.

I have about 6 pounds of dry rock and 10 pounds of dry sand as well.

My two options are:

1. Sell it to the LFS for $35 in-store credit (my LFS is amazing, so its useful)

2. Do something with it!

Would you just sell it to the LFS? What else can I do? I have a 16 gallon that I am cycling, so its not like I can just transfer frags and some LR over into it. The lighting doesn't seem sufficient enough for a lot of things. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but if you guys can think of something neat, I might invest a little in it.

What about dwarf seahorses? I was reading this and it sounds doable/fairly cheap:

http://www.saltcritters.com/dwarf-seahorses/

Here's a current pic of it:

FVVVs.jpg?1

Any ideas?

jedimasterben

StewiesSexyParty.gif

If you do dwarf seahorses, remember that they need to be fed often, and typically only eat live, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

Softy tank

I would consider it, but I don't think the lighting is good enough, honestly. The zoas, mushrooms, and toadstool I had in it before did not do so well.

Mini planted tank....

This I never thought of. The only freshwater tank I have done was guppies when I was 10. I'm going to do more research on this! Thank you.

Research, research, and then some more research, finally culminating into a dwarf seahorse tank!

Hmmm....

If you do dwarf seahorses, remember that they need to be fed often, and typically only eat live, freshly hatched baby brine shrimp.

Well, seeing as how I travel fairly often, the seahorse idea is out.

Mantis/Pest tank! You can thank me later...

I've thought of this. I'm ashamed to admit I'm a little afraid of them. I've also heard they make strange noises... I will be doing more research, though.

Another idea I thought of was a sexy shrimp tank! I had one before and I thought they were the coolest things!

Thank you guys for the ideas :) I will be researching and let you know!

I am scared of them too! I was actually hammered by one of them and it cracked my nail..my friend told me he had a hand fed goby that you can reach down and feed..so i was like, cool...yeah...

And i meant a saltwater planted tank...i find tidal pool tanks fun as well.

I have an Aqueon Evolve 4 gallon (acrylic) that I am trying to sell on craigslist, but no one seems interested. It has a carbon filter, powerhead, heater, and stock lighting with 3 of the white LED's burned out. It was a saltwater coral reef tank for about 8 months, but most coral in it eventually died, so I don't think the lighting is very good in it.

I have about 6 pounds of dry rock and 10 pounds of dry sand as well.

My two options are:

1. Sell it to the LFS for $35 in-store credit (my LFS is amazing, so its useful)

2. Do something with it!

Would you just sell it to the LFS? What else can I do? I have a 16 gallon that I am cycling, so its not like I can just transfer frags and some LR over into it. The lighting doesn't seem sufficient enough for a lot of things. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but if you guys can think of something neat, I might invest a little in it.

What about dwarf seahorses? I was reading this and it sounds doable/fairly cheap:

http://www.saltcritters.com/dwarf-seahorses/

Here's a current pic of it:

FVVVs.jpg?1

Any ideas?

Purple Lobster Tank!

And i meant a saltwater planted tank...i find tidal pool tanks fun as well.

Oh! I never thought of that. Will be researching it :D

Purple Lobster Tank!

OMG! Had not considered this either. Definitely on the list.

• 7 months later...
Saltywankenobi

post-79477-0-92944200-1364359380.jpg

I set this one up three months ago, but I ditched the stock aquacon light. I replaced it with a cheap marine land 11in LED. I think two of them would work better though. The marineland is not the greatest still. It works ok, my corals are living. I added a small powerhead on a timer, it turns on for a half hour 3 times a day. I've had reefs for years and simple is best. I just never had one this small. It's super easy compared to a monster tank.

Archived