Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID needed

zemuss

Pic 1 - Snail?

post-43834-1344301270_thumb.jpg

Pic 2 - Feather dusters on the rock? I am afraid they might be some type of hydroids.

post-43834-1344301305_thumb.jpg

Can anyone identify these?

Deleted User 3
Pic 1 - Snail?

post-43834-1344301270_thumb.jpg

Pic 2 - Feather dusters on the rock? I am afraid they might be some type of hydroids.

post-43834-1344301305_thumb.jpg

collonistas and look like feather dusters like you said, not hydroids.

altolamprologus

First one is a collonista snail. They're good and will reproduce in your tank

I can't tell what the second is, almost looks like dead algae

Not the bubble algae the little feather dusters next to them. I can try to get a better picture.

I will add the snails back then.. I found them on top of each other and was like WTF is that?

Deleted User 3

Lol no, i press the circle next to the address bar or re-enter the address bar :P

Not the bubble algae the little feather dusters next to them. I can try to get a better picture.

I will add the snails back then.. I found them on top of each other and was like WTF is that?

They look like feather dusters to me. And yeah sometimes my snails are on top of each other, must be cleaning :P

altolamprologus

I wasn't referring to the bubble algae. The fluffy #### looks like dead hair algae. Do the "feathers" retract when disturbed? Or do they just sit there no matter what happens?

when i squirt water on the rocks they retract.

The collonistas snails I have a bunch of them. Wow haven't paid this close attention to my reef in over 5 months.

altolamprologus
when i squirt water on the rocks they retract.

The collonistas snails I have a bunch of them. Wow haven't paid this close attention to my reef in over 5 months.

Do they retract quickly, like into tubes, or do they just kinda shrivel up?

altolamprologus
They retract into the rock no tubes. Well the tubes might be in the rock work.

That's weird. A better, more detailed pic would be nice.

altolamprologus
Whats the weird part? This is about as clear i can get them.. I only have a camera on my phone.

The fact that they go into the rocks. Check out this website to try to find what they are. They may very well be feather dusters, but I've never seen that many burrowed into the same rock like that.

Deleted User 3

Thought so. I have some in the rock holes, and i have this one piece of rock that broke off, like a 2x2" that has a colony on it ha ha! but those have tubes outside.

Cool. Well the rock is flat and I haven't moved it because it is a over hang and glues down (kinda). Thanks for the help.

albertthiel

Pic 2 : hard to say due to lack of a lot of detail but it does not look like Hydroids IMO

Pic 1: you got several answers that it is collonista snail

Archived