Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Drop Off

xD4NxK9Bx

post-73410-1344288071_thumb.jpg

post-73410-1344288122_thumb.jpg

So here is my new pico running with the same sort of set up as my retired vase, air pump driven sealed lid etc.

Full build info to come and more pics

Dan

Marine Depot

Very cool and unique! Looking forward to seeing the build pictures to see what you used to create that drop.

Dan

Equipment

12x8x8 clearseal tank

5w (soon to be 15w) led bulb

interpet heater and airpump

Few lb of liverock

Corals

Green Ric

Green/blue Mushrooms

Flouro Green Candy Cane

Blue/Brown Candy Cane

Turquoise/Orange Acan

Yellow Encrusting Porites

Pink Birds Nest

Purple Encrusting Monti

The plan is to pack the top with sps, get a plating monti at the side of the drop to give it a cool over hang look.

Care will be 100% water changes once a week like my old vase and start dosing two part between WC.

Here are some build pics

Tank

Building the platform/drop

Edging on

Sealing around lid

Another slightly lighter FTS

post-73410-1344289894_thumb.jpg

I had thought about trying to build up a tank in the shape, but having never done it before i didnt think it would turn out all that well..... so i cheated :)

"the drop off? what are you insane?" - Marlin

lol..

cool tank.. I saw a larger one like that on reefbuilders a while back..

Deleted User 3

I WANT a pico like this. :o are picos hard to maintain? I'd like to do a vase one sort of. Take some seeded rubble i have, and some sand from my tank.

very cool mini reef drop off version! would be cool if you had integrated a cave on the drop off part for a mantis or something.

maybe an idea for someone?

:D

The cichlid breeder I used to visit when I lived in cleveland had a tank shaped like that though he didnt cheat :P you can see it at 53 seconds in this video

I like yours! Its definitely interesting and a cool idea

@tuLIPgirl, i have found pico's easy to maintain and my vase i took down was brilliant, i only retired it because i didnt have the cash/time really to make this one up and have both running. and once i had this idea i had to make, lol.

As long as you follow a set routine, 100% water changes once a week, only feed once a week, heavily, just before a water change etc then they are really easy and stable. I had my vase going from xmas untill yesterday and didnt have a single strand of algea!!!

Read anything by Brandon, who taught me all this stuff, or if you havent read it already search 'history of pico reef biology' on google and read his blog.

Thanks man. I got a new led bulb coming today hopefully, same colour just brighter with a bigger spread to keep my sps happy!!!

Brandon, what did you use to create a seal on your 0.5g? silicon?

I had two different ones, one with silicon and one with weatherstripping it wasn't that great of a seal

For the silicon I used a half inch thick ugly bead to glue the lid to the tank fully. After curing I took a razor and in one pass in the middle of the bead cut clear around it. It could be removed for service or sealed again with something on top pressing down the lid.

1 week update.... Apart from my blue leg hermit crab's new found love for flipping my acan upside down and then sitting on it, everything is going well. Sps polyp extension is good and they are spreading well. New 21W LED bulb will be here soon which should have a larger spread of light to get into the corners of the tank. The sealed lid is doing great and i only had to top off once this week.

Im going to do 100% water change tomorrow, give it another week and then get an acro, monti digi and plating monti frag to go in!

I will upload new fts later today!

Dan

frozen mysis, a bit blended and some as it comes out for about an hour or so before.... Thats what i used in the vase, i just didnt do it as often as i shouldve!

thats perfect, blended mysis is awesome all my lps love it when I bother to offer it. currently we're just getting by on cyclopeeze frozen out of laziness but either of the two is fine lol

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Very well thought out! Drop off tank, I like the name! As a diver I personally see many reefs follow this pattern.

So tiny, yet so loud!

Micro-Reefs gives you a high five for creativity! B)

Very well thought out! Drop off tank, I like the name! As a diver I personally see many reefs follow this pattern.

So tiny, yet so loud!

Micro-Reefs gives you a high five for creativity! B)

Cheers man, I cant wait until the top is packed out with sps and I can really emphasize the drop off nature of this tank with some plating monti!!

The bulb i have at the moment is an r80 5w led that i made up myself for my old 1g vase, it was great on the vase but not really enough to cover this tank as its much wider. I am waiting for 21w version to come through the post atm which should be better suited to this tank.

Dan

Archived