Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do Astreaea snails eat Red Grape Caulpera?

duganderson

duganderson

I would like to add red grape caulpera to my 28 g. nano and I've heard that Turbo snails would eat this macro.

Do Astreae snails eat this macro too since they are a type of turbo, or is it only the Mexican Turbos that eat these?

thanks, Doug

• 3 weeks later...

yes, depending on the species they will eat the "grapes", they leave the branch, even the larger Astraea species will not chew through the branch, and it comes back. (Botryocladia occidentalis at least, B. uvaria I think they could eat the whole thing, they don't eat nuisance Botryocladia species though - go figure. :) )

• 1 month later...
yes, depending on the species they will eat the "grapes", they leave the branch, even the larger Astraea species will not chew through the branch, and it comes back. (Botryocladia occidentalis at least, B. uvaria I think they could eat the whole thing, they don't eat nuisance Botryocladia species though - go figure. :) )

Is the Red Grape Caupera (I know it's not actually a Caulpera) that Keydiver sells which he calls Red grape (botryocladia) likely Botryocladia occidentalis OR B. uvaria?

Thanks

Archived