inTank Media Baskets

Bivalve is LR

j5rec

Yesterday afternoon I picked out a nice piece of rock covered in green star polyps. Later that evening I walked through the room to see if any had come out yet. As I came closer to the tank the whole rock moved. I assumed that a hermit crab was doing some redecorating and as I looked for it I noticed a seam running all the way around the front of the rock split, and open. Inside I can see an incurrent siphon and what looks like either pink or purple and white mantle. I can't see the excurrent siphon. The seam is possibly straight, about 4 inches in length and has only opened about an eigth of an inch so far. There may be some scallops to it but I can't tell for sure due to heavy coraline alge covering the edges. The star polyps cover the end where I'm guessing the excurrent siphon is. My question is what is it and how should I go about keeping it alive. Seeing how the majority of it is covered in the polyps, I sort of need it and I'd rather not try and figure out what to do if it dies. I hope to attach photos this evening. Thank you for your time.

Sounds like an oyster. Most clams, oysters and arks will be able to eat some of the phytoplankton species in DTs.

I have one also. The thing is covered in rics, I had to prop one off, they are getting so big the entire oyster is covered. It has survived about 6-8 months. I feed phyto about 2-3 times a week.

Thank you both. I really was wanting some good news about it. I thought it was a nice bonus if I could get some life out of it. I swear that's the best part about the hobby. A fish is just a fish, but LR, that's always a bonus pack. -john

Archived